Do David Splanes offensive and pompous orations have a silver lining?

by ranmac 24 Replies latest jw friends

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I do wonder who will be at my convention this weekend. Its San Diego, and there is always a GB member or two because its one of the last stadium conventions.

I hope its Splane, I don't think I've ever heard from him before.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I find where I live the JWs have a very good understanding of mental health problems, because half the elders are on meds themselves!

• designs
    designs

problemaddict- Give us a report on whoever shows up from Bethel.

• steve2
    steve2
    I find where I live the JWs have a very good understanding of mental health problems, because half the elders are on meds themselves!

Yes, Julia, when an "issue" personally hits home, even ignoramuses are forced to confront their ignorance.It's a shame that it requires personal experience before the men in charge develop some understanding. Then I'd suspect their understnading is limited to themselves and perhaps their immediate loved ones. Still, it's a start, I suppose.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Society in general is becoming more aware of mental illness. I'd never heard of it growing up, but now the kids I teach have all heard of it and know about kids helpline and school counselors and doctors. Mental illness is losing its stigma in society of being a personal weakness and something to be ashamed of, and gainin recognition for what it really is: a real set of real illnesses with real treatments available. It is slowly filtering into Jw land too, like all modern developments eventually do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit