I don't get it ... 80% of people in Oklahoma DON'T have a Tornado Shelter. Are they nuts ????

by RubaDub 60 Replies latest jw friends

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

A cordding to the Weather Channel the cost for a shelter runs about $4,000 to $8,000. Because of the soil they have basements do not work there. The land is flat the soil is clay whice holds lots of water. So if you had a basement it would be wet and moldy. For most the cost is expensvie. Maybe when they build their houses again it will include a tornado shelter. Totally ADD

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Some reports I've read talk about many one man shelters bored into garage slabs. They have sliding locking lids.

• CaptainSchmideo
  • jgnat
    jgnat

When I was looking at construction materials and wind tunnels, materials are being tested at hurricane wind strength, which is about 130 mph. An F5 tornado runs over 200 mph, and hardly anything is being tested at that strength. No matter what you build we're talking about a lot of matchsticks flying around.

A reinforced school hallway sounds like a great idea.

Strapped-down sea-cans?

Semi-Tossed

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Sorry everyone.

I have read all the comments here and so much from the news on why people don't have basements or below-ground places to hide in a storm ... cost ... the clay soil holds water and produces mildew ... too much rock ... etc etc etc.

I just know that if I had the misfortune to have to live in tornado alley, I would borrow a shovel from a neighbor, dig a hole, go to the scrap yard and get a piece of metal to cover it ...

And yes, it would probably smell of mildew ... yes, I would get dirty if I got into it ...

But I would likely survive a storm with just a few dollars spent.

Rub a Dub

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Gnat. My neighbour has three on his property. I have helped him deconstruct them. They are not on any form of concrete footing or even tied together but withstood 140mph gusts this year without any issues and two are stacked on each other. As Rubadub said, the idea is to lock them down and cover with soil. They would not be affected by any wind.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Sorry jgnat hurricane strength winds start at 75 miles per hour which is a cat. 1 hurricane all the way up to 150 miles plus which is a cat. 5 hurricane. Weather experts have found hurricanes at cat.5 will form tornados along it's eye wall which makes them even more destrutive. But you are right tornado's can have alot more wind power that a hurricane the olny diffrence is tornado cover alot smaller area than a hurricane. Personally I would rather go through a hurricane than a tornado. I have been through both. F one tornado and a cat 1 hurricane. Both at the bottom of their scale but the tornado did a whole lot more damage in a very short period of time. Totally ADD

• talesin
    talesin

I'm sure that people with lots of MONEY have safe harbour. This is the society we live in. Poor people are left to fend for themselves. The gov't would rather give tax breaks to corporations, yadda yadda yadda, than sponsor communities to have safe places for people to go. They would rather spend millions of dollars on disaster relief after the fact, than prevention. That's what 'capitalism' is all about,,, look at health care.

tal

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's not just Oklahoma.

http://visual.ly/tornado-tracks

can someone post the pic on the link for me?

• talesin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit