Seeing the Strange in the JW Familiar

by laverite 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• laverite
    laverite

There are times when we manage to step outside of our own identities, perspectives and world view, and look at ourselves, our situations or certain lived experiences almost as an outsider. Sociologists call it seeing the strange in the familiar. An anthropologist by the name of Miner wrote a fascinating piece involving this very concept (see http://www.ohio.edu/people/thompsoc/Body.html). I’d love to read a similar piece written about the Witnesses in the style of Miner.

From my reading of posts on JWN over the past 10+ years, I have come to especially enjoy when people (especially those born-in) write about their own personal experiences wherein they manage to get their first glimpses of JW practices as truly strange. In other words, they themselves see something about the Witnesses as really strange. They take the perspective of an outsider in doing this. And the experience is one in which the individual experiences it as an outsider (to whatever extent is possible), only s/he is still inside, looking out, looking back in.

All Witnesses are able to do this to some extent at times. Even as born-ins, we were all aware of how we were “different” from the “world.” We knew our language and various practices were outside the norm, and these things helped to define us and also helped us feel like we belonged as Witnesses. But what I’m talking about here is when it goes beyond simply “knowing” we were different, but actually looking outwards, looking back in and seeing and feeling what we were looking at was, indeed, truly strange.

Would anyone here like to (re)share any experiences you had where you felt as though you were able to step outside of yourself as a Witness, look back in and see how strange or odd it all was? What prompted this? How did you deal with these experiences?

• laverite
    laverite

Anyone? Anyone?

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

When you pull your head out and have a look around, we may have been different than the WT 's version of what a "worldly" person is but we were really no different than any other religious group...but we were taught to feel superior anyway.

• laverite
    laverite

Exwhyzee - that is so true. That sense of superiority makes me feel quite ashamed in retrospect. Recognizing that came later -- it wasn't one of those early experiences for me.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Fascinating. I can say that the more that time passes since my being out of the religion, the more I experience this feeling. So it's been a gradual thing for me, not sudden. If I see a group of JW's walking the street going to door, for example, I am immediately struck with how odd and strange such behaviour is, and can hardly believe that for most of my life I did that without feeling any sense of shame. I was a born-in for 35 years and have been fully non-attending and inactive for only about 2.5 years.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My first experience of this was when my dub mom told me she was upset that my nephew, her grandson, and his wife were expecting a child, because the child would just die at Armageddon anyway. I was speechless, how could the birth of a child be anything buy a joy? I asked her how could she know that her grandson might not become a Witness, although deep down I just couldn't see where it made a difference anyway, maybe he was right and we were wrong anyway. I just could not think that way, I knew if that was what meant being a dub meant, count me out.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Laverite ...You thought of an interesting thread.

Question: How can I be who I've known me to be for 60 years but I am not that person anymore but i am still me?

I'm not ready to read Steve Hesson's book on mind control and cults, wherein, I am sure, the answer lies.

I am not weird, strange, contrary, special, or smarter than the other 7 billion people on this planet. I would not dream of being so presumptuous as to go knocking on my neighbors door to tell them "I" have the answers to The Universe, and "I" know these answers because The Watch Tower Publishing Firm told me so! LOL LOL LOL

Just Lois

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, I thought that the stories of 'demonz' and 'books that wouldn't burn' were strange, indeed.

I also realized in my late 30s, that it's extremely strange for parents to make 5 YO kids go door-to-door shilling for the religion.

Oh, and the arranged marriages my parents tried to force me into - very strange, indeed, in our culture.

Not being allowed to wear 'pants' in a blizzard --- WE-IRD!

I'm on a roll here, is that the type of stuff you were looking for?

xo

tal

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Not being allowed to wear 'pants' in a blizzard --- WE-IRD!

Yes, very weirs, as all European female JWs wear them. So one should try to make a difference between what is one's personal experience and what is worldwide group behavious.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Realising what a pompous self righteous git I was. The weirdest thing now looking in, is that these people subjugate their own instincts to the watchtower magazine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit