Seeing the Strange in the JW Familiar

by laverite 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nika Bee
    Nika Bee

One of the first I can recall, I was probably seven years old, and running outside with some neighbours kids. There was one guy about two years older, for whatever reason, I don't recall, we came to talk about, that our family was JW (this was in an area in the deepest South-Bavaria, Germany, nearly everyone is catholic by default). He didn't know what it was, that we were. I started explaining, and he said "oh just another religion". I was taken aback, because I had never thought of our "whatever we were part of I didn't actually have a name for it" as a religion just as the catholic one. How would someone dare to call JW a religion? I thought about this shortly and, yes I thought, he is right.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

" The amount of time talking about demons. The inappropriate sexual subjects talked about in front of children during meetings. The no beard ban for men. The no pants ban for women. The higher education ban. "

Hell, I found these things strange when I was fully a JW. No wonder cognitive dissonnance tore me up.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac
    In a sociology class we had to join a group and then write about it.

hhmmm.. just before I left there was a young woman at the Kingdom Hall who was consipicously interested for no reason. Was there for maybe two weeks. Attractive, and was going to be a lawyer, or doctor, or ... something more than undergraduate. I'm now wondering if we were zoo exhibits for this kind of study, lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit