So after the blow out between my old JW buddy and I, it's back to "normal"

by wha happened? 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

A friend of mine and I had a huge blow out about the JW religion. He and I were friends before either one of us were JW's. IN fact, I took him to his first meeting. (Regretting that decision). It was a mindless conversation with him bringing up stupid facts and that he would end sentences with, "because it's the truth".

Well when I cornered him on blood using scriptures, he finally uttered the most mind numbingly stupid comment ever, "Even if the brothers are wrong about blood, are u saying that Jehovahs can't ressurect them?" To which I uttered, then why is murder wrong? Isn't that what murder is? The killing of another man? His final comment was that he realizes that he isn't as educated as I am, and not nearly as adept at studying a topic, but he knows t's the truth. I said the only differeance between us is that knowing and proven are two different things.

Well I regretted the blow out because I was renovating my condo and over the decades, he's always done the work at various properties I owned. He is good at what he does. And now I have to find another tile guy.

Well a month later, the main contracter calls him and the dub shows up to do the work. Talks to me like business as usual. Wants to have lunch. We go to Home Depot, pick up tile. Make other runs. I make my usual jokes. He works, and now he's in the middle of the job.

Weird

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's just business?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

His final comment was that he realizes that he isn't as educated as I am, and not nearly as adept at studying a topic, but he knows t's the truth

I've heard similiar statements.

'I don't know what I'm talking about but I have very definite opinions that my ignorant viewpoint is correct'.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Well the conversation is still personal. I helped him with his divorce by contacting an attorney whom I consider a friend and handled my divorce. Gave him a great deal. We talk about his ex, his kids, my business. Talks about how when he returns from Italy next month he wants to jam. (We met as musicians back in the 80's). It's like he went into denial about the whole conversation, and just wants to keep the friendship.

I dunno. He did previously bring up a few times during our blowout that he won't read apostate material, to which I pointed out that I only cited sources like the bible and the WT. Maybe he realized I wasn't an apostate according to the WT religion.

I dunno.....

• Satanus
    Satanus

Wierd, huh? When i was in, sometimes w aukward discussions, where there were jws and nondubs involved, when we were working, i found myself saying things out of sink w wt programming. I think that inconsistent actions like that show that it is merely programming that runs a lot of jws, including me, when i was in. Doing construction work w some nondubs present allows the programming to slip, kind of like your jeans can slide down a bit, when your working. In other words, the guy isn't being himself, as a dub.

S

• Gopher
    Gopher

: he went into denial about the whole conversation, and just wants to keep the friendship.

Maybe that's a good place to leave it, if you're okay with it. Not every JW is as open-minded towards those who blow off their religion.

Edited to add: We know that somewhere inside every JW resides both the JW-robot personality and the human side. The JW-robot can get triggered at almost any time, but if we steer clear of that crazy belief stuff, their human side may remain comfortable in dealing with people who disbelieve what they believe.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Glad to hear he is not letting his high minded principles keep him from earning money from an "apostate."

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Well that's ok with me if this is where it stays. I'm glad that I was finally able to tell him why I left. Everybody I knew basically repeated the rumour that I left because I couldn't get along with dubs. It's true that I didn't get along with everyone, but only because I would call them on their BS. I even told them that if it was in fact, about the people. I would have left after day 2. He thought that as well until I made it clear how much I thought their doctrine was crap.

• Honesty
    Honesty

At least he's still talking with you, wha happened? which is more than I can say for a former

friend of over 30 years.

He and I were friends before either one of us were baptized.

I had a similar experience about blood with him.

It was the last time we talked, almost 10 years ago.

He said that it didn't matter if JW's die for refusing blood because

Jehoobie will resurrect them anyway.

I just bit my tongue and shook my head.

You just can't fix stupidity.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

He said that it didn't matter if JW's die for refusing blood because

Jehoobie will resurrect them anyway.

It's always easy to say this....when you're not the one dying or you're not the child, parent or spouse of the one who died.

Such an idiotic viewpoint!

By this reasoning, a JW should just run red lights and stop signs, or drive a car with 4 bald tires and no brakes when he's out in Field Service- after all, if he dies or kills his car group, they'll all be resurrected anyway. Might as well skip auto insurance with medical coverage too. Jehoobie's got it covered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit