Is time running out for the Watchtower ? or has it already passed its used by date

by smiddy 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

Judging by the titles/themes of the talks , dramas ,new releases ,tracts,brochures , etc,.I dont think their was anything that would enthuse any witness to renewed activity.On the contrary I think it would demoralize you .Their was nothing their to inspire a new convert let alone one who has been in for decades to keep on in service to this organization

For arguments sake ,I was baptised in 1961 if I was still in , at this convention ,I would be asking ,when is the great tribulatin to begin? Who is the king of the north ? Why are you building / planning in this system many years in the future ? If Jehovah is going to destroy this system of things , just around the corner , then why are you planning ,in this system of things, just in case it doesnt occur ?

Kingdom Halls , Assembly halls , Convention halls ,etc.have been constructed ,financed , by volunteer labour and donations by willing jehovahs witnesses for the advancement of kingdom intrests .

All the real estate/profits goes to the Governing Body of Jehovahs Witnesses in the USA no matter where on earth it originates from.

And where does this money go ? If I was a Jehovahs Witness now, I would be wanting an Audit into their claims of a non profit organization and a tax audit by the IRS

smiddy

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

It jumped the shark with the overlapping generations nu-lite IMO.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

They are a multi billion dollar company.

That sort of money will buy them time.

There must be a hard number for minimum membership to sustain a bare bones opperation. I look at the WWCG as an example. They publically admitted fault and pushed reform to be more in line with Christian religions.

I believe they lost over 50% of their numbers but still survive to today.

They will try to adapt to keep their control in an era of free information but if that fails they can always play the deperation card of reform and survive.

• stillin
    stillin

All of those Assembly Halls, Kingdom Halls etc., give the r&f something to look at and feel that they have really been busy doing "the Lord's work." And there are plenty of assets to "liquefy" once the r&f stops giving enough.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Watchtower is a printing corporation in a time when those are dinosaurs.

Personally, I think they are in a slow death. Already mentioned is that they have a bunch of money to burn through. Just because other dinosaurs are gone around you, if you have what you need, you can live a long life yet on your own. They sell their assets and learn to live with less.

But never underestimate the cult part of this printing corporation. They have 7 million people going, at least semi-regularly, to the Kingdom Hall. Those people are constantly having their thoughts manipulated. Oh, the communication and information age is doing it's damage to that, especially to young ones on social media. But they still have all those people listening to them. Even if those people don't contribute what they used to, there's still money running through the contribution boxes. Assemblies and conventions still come out ahead, or else they would have cancelled them. Their printing has changed, but still must be profitable to a small degree, or it would stop.

I don't expect they will drop dead in the next decade or two, but things will just get slowly worse for them as their members die off.

It is my hope that money is actually worse than it seems and they don't learn fast enough how to stop burning through it, then that the lawyers and accountants and the powers behind the GB manage to squirrel away millions in some island countries and disappear with it, leaving the GB with some explaining to do. That would be a great shortcut to their end. Or maybe the GB will flee with them.

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

I agree with the slow death model. Like any large corporation, the WT has reserves that will keep it afloat for many years, many years in that free labor keeps the corporate entity running on a day-to-day basis. If they had to pay taxes, that would be a killer. Even so, insurance on existing property, maintenance, and printing supplies require constant cash income. Same with assembly halls, they require constant use at near capacity and attendees willing to contribute.

The life blood of the WT is the constant contributions from its members. When paying member dwindle, so will the WT. I think that is already in progress.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I think that Bob_NC put his finger on it when he noted that the “lifeblood of the WT is the constant contributions from its members.” The latest information on their website about the ongoing building projects in Wallkill, Warwick and Tuxedo, New York show this. The Society mentioned how this work was being done with volunteer labor and would result in a new location for its world headquarters when completed. It’s not money alone the WTS gets from rank-and-file Witnesses, but an enormous amount of free, unpaid volunteer labor as well.

Why do Witnesses constantly and even enthusiastically volunteer their time and labor for WTS projects? I suppose there are many reasons but I think a very important one is their conviction that despite all the doctrinal, organizational and procedural changes that have occurred during the last twenty years, they are convinced the WTS is “Jehovah’s organization” so that whatever they do is in accord with the divine will.

As time goes by, that belief will fade, but I agree with OTWO’s observation that the organization still has quite a few years left before it vanishes, more’s the pity.

Quendi

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Definately past it's used by date. But like others who insist on buying electronic devices for their car that give them higher mileage, or pills to make thier penis bigger, the WT knows there is another sucker behind the one that got a clue

• therevealer
    therevealer

What? Those pills aren't what did it??

• prologos
    prologos

doing free construction labor is more satisfying than door 2door. you can see the results, have time for/with more than one work-mate, and some believe those buildings will survive the GT, or to the next major renovation. the pyramids the cathedrals in Europe were all build on the same principle.

pity the workers that did it to the detriment of their future, families.

If the spiritual bancrupty indicated by the latest new light is confirmed,

they are working for org financial survival, (money is for protection Ecc. 7:12)

quite similar to the millions that died to extend Hitler's life a few months.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit