Can losing faith in God be a disfellowshipping offense?

by Emery 21 Replies latest jw friends

• d
    d

I told some Jw's I lost my faith in God and they have not bothered me since.

• BU2B
    BU2B

So I gather from the responses so far that the elders view it as far less serious if you give up faith in God himself, than If you keep faith in god, but lose faith in the organization! Something seems off there no?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

BLUES BROTHER: It all depends on the attitude of the elder(s). Technically it can be construed as a denial of everything that is believed and therefore apostasy. However, if it is said modestly and not spread around the congregation, I think most of them would view you as a lost sheep rather than an apostate.- but I would not bank on it!

I agree 100% with BB statement. Esp IT DEPENDSON THE ELDERS.

It's all subjective. If they WANT to put you out, that is enough to convict you.

Doc

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Just remember the bias by those having responded. Their responses might not be 100 % agreed upon by JWs or elders you would come across. Those having responded of course have THEIR history to tell and THEIR reasons for responding as they do. The whole question is a bit "weird", why would one wish to continue being a member - to call it that - of an organization whose aims, foundations, whole legitimacy one not only questions but denies? Depending of how militant one puts forward one's views, I guess the result would more be "has disassociated himself".

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Hippie,

You are correct. We can only really draw on our own experiences. Still, not trusting the GB 100% is serious. Also, anyone who sees the WTBTS for what it is, coercive, doesn't want to be a member. They just don't want their lives destroyed by other humans over something as petty as not believing another human about a particular teaching. Especially a teaching that is just an idea.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

EMERY - I just talked (actually cried, mostly) to my PO. Told him I wanted to be deleted, too. He was very compassionate, a good guy. That was about it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It is often stated on the forum that you can be disfelowshipped for anything that three elders agree upon. So probably you could be disfellowshipped for no longer believing in God, although, as long as you weren't outspoken about it, you would probably be left alone. As others have noted, disbelief in the faithful and discreet slave is viewed as a far more serious offense.

• Emery
    Emery

TheOldHippie, I wanted to know how elders would possibly react towards someone who becomes inactive because of lost faith. I will agree that if you're disrespectful and militant in your disbelief they will feel threatened. If you show a sincere and loving attitude, without disrespecting the bible, the elders, or the God they worship I think you can walk away. I am having a hard time seeing lost faith resulting in judicial action if you voice these issues respecfully. I have been researching possible arguments for this and I have found 2 scriptures elders may use against this.

Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Revelation 3:16 - So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

These scriptures of course I've found to be within the context of God's final judgment, not congregational decisions in the here and now. However, this scripture could be used in defense of having lost faith.

Romans 14: 1, 4 - " Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters . Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand. "

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The evil one has said in his heart there is no God.

• sspo
    sspo

As far as i know a person would not get DF if they have doubts about GOD himself but talking to the elders one has to be very careful about anything negative about the watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit