Do You Fear Death?

by Cold Steel 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

My views don't just represent "Mormonism" by a long shot, but many other Christian belief systems. Adventists tend to believe in soul sleeping, but Catholics, most Protestants and especially the Eastern Orthodox all believe that when one dies, the spirit survives. First Century Christians certainly believed it despite what Adventists believe. There were many books and libraries that were discovered in the late 1800s, then the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Nag Hammadi library in 1947, and more later.

As for the atheistic view, Albert Camus repeatedly discussed suicide as a viable way out of a world of woe. Though he didn't commit suicide, he did change his views later in life and was contemplating the Catholic priesthood when he was killed in an automobile accident. I had a neighbor who was an atheist and when he developed inoperable cancer, he sent his wife out shopping, wrote a note telling her to contact my father and not go in the garage. He posted it on the door leading from the kitchen to the garage, went into the garage and blew his head off. Both he and his wife were members of the Hemlock Society and later his wife admitted that she expected him to do this.

But some people want to hang on whatever the cost. Others just don't want the hassle of living life. People can believe what they want about an afterlife, but my maternal grandfather saw friends and relatives who had passed before he passed on and my father, as I've said, told us he had seen and spoken to his mother. She had died in complete dementia and I recall how frustrating it was on my dad, who found it difficult to deal with her. But this wasn't the person who spoke to him. I've also read scores of other accounts that convince me there's a real afterlife. And some of these shows dealing with ghosts, I think, are on the level. Several teams have gone to St. Augustine's lighthouse in Florida, and they saw, heard and experienced very similar paranormal activity. Two teams actually saw movement as well as hearing voices and footsteps.

People who get burned by religion can become bitter and throw everything out with the bathwater. That's unfortunate. If one can just reject Adventism and not reject all religion, I think they'd be less bitter and find more purpose in life.

St. Augustine's Lighthouse in northeast Florida.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Cold Steel: " People who get burned by religion can become bitter and throw everything out with the bathwater."

I'm bitter only about the WTS, not religion as a whole. I did a lot of reading about different religions after I left the dubs and after several years came to the (not embittered) conclusion that there never was any baby in the bathwater.

Cold Steel: If one can just reject Adventism and not reject all religion, I think they'd be less bitter and find more purpose in life. "

I don't know why you would make the arrogant and unwarranted assumption that atheists have little or no purpose in life. It's insulting and it's incorrect.

BTW, love your lighthouse photos, although I'm not sure why you put them there. It reminds of the time when the uncle of one of my co-workers committed suicide by jumping off the top of the Cape May, New Jersey, lighthouse. He was a very religious man.

• cofty
    cofty
    If one can just reject Adventism and not reject all religion, I think they'd be less bitter and find more purpose in life.

You are an arrogant and self-righteous cult apologist.

I have never been bitter and I have a happy life without the superstitious mumbo-jumbo you are peddling.

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

Personally I don't wanna die.However,there are people who hate life and living in this world and they are not around us to testify it because they are no longer alive.An example of this is Per Yngve Ohlin of the Norwegian Black Metal band Mayhem.At 21 years old he blew his brains out with a shotgun.Here's the proof:

Picture removed

• cofty
    cofty

That picture is an obscenity - shame of you XPeterX

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

Nope - no longer fear anything - hit me back if you wanna know my secret

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

That picture should be removed.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Picture removed - XPeterX please do not photos of that nature on this forum.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I don't know why you would make the arrogant and unwarranted assumption that atheists have little or no purpose in life. It's insulting and it's incorrect.

Oh, come on 'keet, what possible purpose can any person have if when they're dead, they're dead? And why should it be insulting? I spent an entire semester with a professor of philosophy quoting the most prolific atheist philosophers throughout history saying that everything man does is for nothing. Camus was the one who said, "The only thing is to decide which is the most aesthetic form of suicide: marriage and a 40-hour-a-week job, or a revolver." He didn't go a day without ridiculing people who believed in religion.

Now, some years later, you say that atheists can have a purpose in life!

Solomon, after marrying heathen wives that led him away from God, wrote the book of Ecclesiastes, one of the most gloomy philosophical works in scripture. Then along came the JWs and turned it into an eschatological work.

If man goes down into the dust never more to rise, it doesn't matter what he does in life, regardless of how good or how evil. Who's going to judge him? Evil and Good become meaningless terms that are completely irrelevant once death closes one's eyes. If you take a life because of revenge or to get gain, who's to say whether you're better or worse than a man who dedicates his life to feeding, clothing and educating his fellow man? Morality is for each person to define, if they care to define it at all.

As long as God sets the bounds of morality, we are subject to His judgment. As long as we have a future, we have a purpose. If man is just at the end of a long evolutionary process, he is a product of evolution and nothing more. Like the old tombstone epitaph:

I Was Not,
    I Was,
    I Am Not,
    I Care Not!

And, as I remember from my childhood:

Have you ever thought when a hearse went by,
    That you might be the next to die?
    They'll put you in a long hard box,
    And cover you with earth and rocks!

There's a lot of humorous cynacism in atheism, but in the end, if you cease to exist, what difference will anything you do here and now make in the grand scheme of things?

• talesin
    talesin

As for the atheistic view, Albert Camus repeatedly discussed suicide as a viable way out of a world of woe. Though he didn't commit suicide, he did change his views later in life and was contemplating the Catholic priesthood when he was killed in an automobile accident.

I do not believe you can prove this claim. Please reference.

I've always felt that it's an incredibly arrogant trait of humanity - to believe our souls 'live forever'. We are just another species that lives on the third rock from the sun. PERIOD.

IMHO, living in the moment brings a lot more joy than looking to some afterlife for bliss. Yes, life is hard - it can be damn hard - but it is what it is. Why the need to believe in fantasies about what happens when we are dead? The only thing we can be sure of is the here and now. If you wish to believe there is a 'hereafter', fine. It doesn't make sense to me.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is all we have. It is a gift, and that's why it's called "the present".

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit