broken hearted

by recovering 20 Replies latest social family

• recovering
    recovering
    9:05am May 12

I just got this facebook message from my niece. I had always thought she was smarter than this. She is a college educated woman in her 50's . She is not a youngster(50's) . Why after all these years of living a succesful life would she do this? Hi darling, I am doing great.... baptized Jehovah's Witness now. YOur father would be so proud. How are things with you and your wife. Hope all it well. Keep in touch.... love you

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I'm sorry to hear your niece became a JW.

It really is sad.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Reminds me of when my grandfather got baptized while he was in his 70's. When my sister heard of it she said grandpa mush be afraid of death.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

So sorry to hear this Recovery.

The way they are shoveling down the Kool-Aid recently, I am surprised she even gave you the decency of a reply.

Oh well. I guess you can strike her off your Xmas list. lol

Just Lois

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

This is indeed unfortunate.

What is the background story on this? Was she an un-baptised-dub-in-training since childhood?

Does she have a tenuous grasp on reality? Has she suddenly decided that only the Brooklyn Publshing Outfit can give her eternal life?

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

• recovering
    recovering

I am so sad. My niece was not raised a witness . My sister did not believe in the wt (much to my father's chagrin). My neice lived a normal life free from the wt even though many of my family members where witnesses. She is educated and has alwys been a leader not a follower. I can't believe that now that she is a grandmother she would fall for their tall tales. She just recently got baptized. It seems to be a pattern in my family. They seem to turn to the wt in their later years can someone please explain this to me? The sad part is I think that if I knew about the truth about the wt before my father had died I could have shown him that it was a crock. My father was an intelliget man.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I had two grandparents (on my father's side) who got baptized later in life. My grandfather (on my mother's side) seems more sympathic towards the bOrg but he died of throat cancer before he could be baptized. I really think it has to do with either a fear of death or wanting to fit in with other family members.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    I really think it has to do with either a fear of death or wanting to fit in with other family members. . . . mrsjones5

Personal experience tends to agree . . .

When you no longer have family connections and have genuinely got past the death thing . . . all religion becomes strangely unattractive.

• blondie
    blondie

Did/does she have friends or family that weren't jw that she was close with. Sounds like she was at a low place and got love bombed. Education is no guarantee that you can't be caught by a cult. Many educated people end up in cults. Perhaps the jws will let their guard down and she will see the REAL love they have. When my husband got baptized, he was dropped flat, socially and at the KH. Couldn't count time any more.

http://www.culteducation.com/faq.html

• What types of people are recruited by cults and/or become involved in potentially unsafe or destructive groups?

All types. People from strong and troubled families, with and without psychological histories, those who have had and have not had drug problems, with a solid or weak religious background, the educated and uneducated, the wealthy, poor, middle class, intelligent and not so intelligent.

One of the myths about cult involvement is that a certain type of person is more vulnerable. Another myth is that healthy, strong, intelligent well-educated people from good families don't become involved. Or, that somehow if someone has clearly defined religious convictions they cannot be recruited. These theories have never been proven or substantiated through research. In fact repeated studies continue to indicate a wide and varied background for cult recruits.

Frankly, cults are quite good at persuasion and indoctrination; it's their stock and trade. And most people simply are not prepared through education and personal experience to be sensitive to the possible impact of cult methodology.

The truth is--almost anyone could potentially become involved with an unsafe or destructive group. We are all especially suggestible at certain times--when depressed, lonely, during an awkward transition, when within a new environment such as a college campus away from home, after a romantic breakup, death in the family or some other personal problem or ordeal. Since all people have such experiences--we all have periods of vulnerability. And destructive cults/groups have honed their skills, timing and focused their programs to exploit such situations as opportunities for recruitment.

• But aren't these people just weak and stupid?

No. As previously mentioned cult recruits are often caught at a particularly vulnerable time and probably did not recognize the warning signs necessary to make a more balanced and informed decision. In everyday life this can be seen to some extent when people make poorly informed decisions largely based upon the influence of slick advertising and sales gimmicks. There are many examples of such successful, but often unethical, methods of persuasion through high-pressure car deals, land and stock swindles, misleading infomercials and boiler room phone solicitations.

Many intelligent and successful celebrities and stars have become involved in some groups that have been called "cults." Specifically because these well-known personalities are so strong and compelling--some have been used to promote controversial groups and defend them. Ironically, the very reason they are useful to such groups is the public admiration and respect they enjoy and the perception that they are role models and often trendsetters.

People are often frustrated and anxious about the world around them. And most of us seem to have a need for answers, security, a sense of control, a feeling of belonging and a desire for personal recognition. Today there are millions of "true believers"--who faithfully accept psychics, UFOs, angels, questionable multi-level marketing schemes, political extremism, conspiracy theories and demagoguery. People find things to believe in that fulfill a need for explanation about an increasingly complex world, and at times of personal crisis such beliefs may fill a personal void within. But personal voids, burning questions and the need for answers are not unique to any single type or group--instead they appear to be part of the human condition.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Sad to hear it. I'm just astounded whenever I hear of any adult person being attracted to JWism. The members still put on a pretty good show i guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit