Do you go to Kroger/Publix/Wal Mart?

by Iamallcool 40 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I like Winco too. I live near a couple and go to one of them at least twice a week. But I miss Krogers. They're not in California. Love the double and triple coupon program Krogers had. Food is a bit cheaper in Indiana thn in California but at least I have places like Winco and Grocery Outlet to help keep my food budget sane.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

I live two blocks from a Grocery Outlet... I go there all the time.. problem is they don't have everything .. but the prices are way way cheeper..

• Violia
    Violia

Thank goodness for Walmart or we could not afford to buy most things we need. JC penny ( for clothes) is not too bad and we have a Ross here that always has sales so you can buy at discount. We don't have any of the others close, Kroger has moved away and most buy groceries at either Tom thumb, Albertsons, Sam's club. Aldies, Trader Joe's or the Farm and market type stores. The Dollar type stores are a great place to buy cleaning products, shampoo, paper items, spices, socks, and pet supplies, party supplies many several other things. You should check them out. A lot of what is in there is junk but they do carry some reasonably ok stuff. Frozen foods are ok but be careful with can goods and boxed products, they may be very old.

• scary21
    scary21

I love Wal-Mart I buy box wine , soda , bar soap, shampoo things like that. I shop at Aldi's alot great laundry detergent, paper plates, trash bags , food wrap and bags. Lots of good food too, Milk and butter.

Kroger and Meijer are great for sale items, so I always check weekly sales on line.

Why do people hate Wal- Mart ???? Well, maybe that's another topic.......lol

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Wife and I go to Walmart, Publix and Winn Dixie.

You CANNOT get the best deals by shopping at one store, IMO. Walmart has very low prices, but the 2 for 1 deals at Publix beat the pants off Walmart.

We are in an area where all the stores are within a mile or so of our home so travel is not an issue. Since we both prefer our salads and vegetables to be very fresh, we probably go to at least one of the stores 5-6 times per week.

Rub a Dub

• moshe
    moshe
    and won't date women who shop there either... for reals.

Tater has a point, but does a one night stand count as a date?

anyway- watch the goings on at Walmart--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=ghrDIQ-K8mg

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I try never to shop at Wal Mart, just dont like the experience. If I want to look at people in tacky clothing, I go to peopleofwalmart.com. A lot depends on family size and preferences and the area you live in. I get some things at costco (warehouse store) some things at Trader Joe's, and the rest at regular supermarkets. Trader Joes are only in some areas, and not always cheapest, but usually a very good deal for the quality. They are similar to Sunflower or Sprouts or Aldi's

Costco or Sams Club: Paper products, cleaning supplies, OTC medications, vitamins, cheese (I freeze half so it won't go bad), butter, eggs, Nuts, deli meats., Yogurt, frozen salmon, toiletries, rice

Trader Joes, Wine, if you like name brand wine, Costco is cheaper, but TJs has some very good wines at $5 a bottle (Primitivo is my fav) and of couse the famous two buck chuck, which is actually 2.50 now. Organic Chicken, its still pretty expensive, but it tastes so much better, fresh fruits and vegetables (Costco can be cheaper, but for only two, the amounts are too much. Bread, cookies, trail mix, spices

Supermarkets : Ice cream, meats (if on special) Milk ( I need lactose free, otherwise Costco is cheaper). Cat food, cereal ( if you buy on sale/use coupons its cheaper than costco and it doesn't get stale before you finish)

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

I only go to Meijers for the foods we cannot obtain from the co-op, by and large we by Michigan made products, dairy, meat, eggs vegatables stright from the farmer to my fridge. The milk is the best!

• Stubborn Disbeliever
    Stubborn Disbeliever

I avoid Walmart at all costs. We don't have much money at all, so I try to be as thrifty as possible. When couponing, I go to Fry's (Kroger). They sometimes have great clearance stuff and then combined with coupons...or even just matching the right sale with coupons, I can walk out of there with 75% savings. We've moved a bit farther from Fry's now (and don't own a car, just bicycles) and it's getting to summer in Phoenix, so trips are uncommon there now.

Nowadays we go to a place that is just in the southwest call Pro's Ranch Market, that is only about a mile away, they ahve unbelievable produce prices (99c for 10lb potatoes, bell peppers 4/99c, carrots 4lbs/99c, etc, sweet oranges 5lbs/99c, etc), they also make all their own tortillas, fire roast chiles outside, rotisserie chickens over the fire outside (*drool), and have amazingn meat prices every week or two (10lbs of chicken leg quarters for 59c/lb).

I have noticed, when we were shopping at Walmart before kids, we were spending at least $400/month on groceries. We THOUGHT we were getting a good deal, but I know now. And it's just a horrible place to be anyways.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Publix and Kroger are cheaper, Walmart Stores are higher priced than Publix and Kroger, why is that? Labor costs for Walmart are cheaper than Kroger and Pubix, so why is Walmart so expensive?

Walmart has a employee turn-over ratio of 1500% in some places in the United States. Why do you think they have such a huge turn-over, is it because they treat their employees so good? .

Tater: What's a Grocery Outlet, and why don't they have the products all the time?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit