Elder lost position for a poor Elvis impersonation singalong!!

by Witness 007 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

He should have worn his Blue Suede Shoes for meeting parts and going out in service ONLY!!!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I remember a circuit overseer making a big deal about a sister where he previously served who was an Elvis fan. Apparently she was quite broken up about his death. The CO made a big deal about her being unbalanced, not of sound mind, and a bunch of other nasty things. Well, I am no Elvis fan, but it didnt sem like the worst sin in the world. He also spoke out about anorexics, they were unchristian too. The funny thing is, I later moved to that area and I am pretty sure I ended up working with the woman. She was a former dub by then, still crazy about Elvis, she brought in a video of his performance where she was in the audience, she blew him a kiss. She was actually a really nice person, a bit eccentric, but harmless. I always wondered if the Elvis thing was what caused her to leave.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Thanks Lois. I have known a JW pioneer dress up and copy a TV character even going from door to door dressed the same he didn't get admonished most thought him eccentric actually he ended up working at Bethel . Dress code might be more strict now but it would make for very interesting door step conversations especially if the householder is inclined to dress up as well. How about the Witness dressed as the joker telling Batman that he needs to get to the Kingdumb Hall as soon as possible and a free book study is on offer.

• lostonrye
    lostonrye

Ain't nothin but a Hound Dog and deserves a disfellowshipping

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

The worse Elvis impersonator was Elvis himself. His primary jeweler is a family friend and he said Elvis was a wonderful person. He used to meet Elvis' private plane with a satchel of things he'd picked out. On the flight, Elvis would go through each piece, they'd yuck it up and then, when they'd landed, Elvis would go his way and the plane took my friend back to Memphis, dropped him off and then return to await the boss. One time, Elvis was at a Cadillac dealer looking at some of the new models. He struck up a friendly conversation with a stranger, a black woman, who also was looking over the cars. In the course of their talk, when he learned she was just there looking and that she couldn't afford to buy a new car, much less a Caddie, he told her to pick one out and then he bought it for her. He apparently loved buying Cadillacs for people, sometimes complete strangers as in this case.

He also was very religious and apparently hated being called "the King." After his death, they found a notation in his Bible to a reference to Jesus being the King. In that notation, he wrote, "There is only ONE King!" His was a tragic life, but alas, one of his own making.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My husband once dressed up in my flower fairy outfit to go to work, and he works for a very, very conservative government organization. He did win first prize, beating out Elvis and Wonder Woman. They still talk about it years later. It is the outfit I am wearing in my avatar. I guess he would get disfellowshipped for that if he were a dub. I would probably get DFd for it to, I am sure fairies are considered satanic.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

They were probably looking to axe him and likely had a litany of personal reasons to do so. I strongly emphasize, personal, btw. The Elvis thing was the excuse. When one elder makes enemies with a couple of passive aggressive elders on the same body and the remaining elders are go with the flow types, its a wrap for that elder on his own. In some cases being an elder is like Goodfellas. Ever see the scene when Jimmy is at the bar smoking a cigarette and gives Morie the look? That's what happened when a couple elders became aware of one of their own doing Elvis impersonations. He had to go.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

David was immoral too... and a murderer. Yet, if someone showed up to one of these gatherings as a representation of David, they wouldn't care.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Dismissing Servant! LOL!! WTH?!??!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit