If you have a family, do you make it a point to provide companionship for those unmarried?

by Theocratic Sedition 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

That is so the experience of a single mum friend of mine. Two kids, struggle, did her best, begged them for help, but nothing. Except for when she started going with a worldly guy, they were on her like a rash. "Where were you when I needed help?! Why are you only here when I've done something wrong?!" She's divorced from the guy now but they won't have a bar of her. The kids have no friends in the cong because others won't pet their kids associate with them. The family is tainted. The whole thing has helped my friend learn ttatt.

• zeb
    zeb

and i recall from my early days when i would talk to some single sister and one of the 'dragon-class' was in like a shot to separate us.. or anyone else who was talking to any single sister.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

As if you're gonna run off and fornicate right then! Don't you know holding hands is what causes babies to be made?

But seriously, that wt in the op mentions single ones but not single mums. The subtext is 'single ones who are single because they're putting the kingdom first and not trucking with marriage and all that waste of time or putting the kingdom first because they're getting older and haven't found a Jw to marry'. Who thinks of the single mums or the troubled teens? I knew a bro who thought he'd mentor some teens of a single mum and made things worse by hammering them about getting baptized rather than just hanging out.

• zeb
    zeb

and yes we did the BBQ thing inviting a wide range of folks along. but not of the 'dragon-class'- got tired of hearing how perfect their offspring were..

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

AND how elders think they have right to know about your sex life (if you have one) when you are single.

Elder said to me a few months ago, how are things going? He knows I am gay as I felt the need to 'confess' to him when I was still a believer many years ago.

'You are doing very well keeping your feelings under control' he said.

You see because I'm single he made the assumption I'm living a sexless life.

I said 'Why would you think I'm going to discuss my sex life with you? I wouldn't ask you about yours'

He took the point & said not to tell him anything he'd need to act on...

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    you can be a source of refreshment to single ones by sometimes including them in your family activities, such as your evening of Family Worship
    Such association has proved to be mutually refreshing.

What the hell is with the WT and refreshment? Seriously, who talks like this....refreshing refreshment. Refreshment from recreation, refreshment from association, refreshment from volunteering your time on Kingdom Hall maintenance. They want to keep everyone refreshed and donating time and money to keep the WT$ chugging along.

I could not think of anything worse than sitting in on somebody's family worship evening. That would be refreshing like shards of glass injected in my anus.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

I have been saying it on other threads, but this Jeremiah book is complete and total garbage. Whover wrote this book should be ashamed of themselves.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

THEOCRATIC SEDITION:

Over the years there were a few kind souls who did show me this kind of attention and I am grateful for their kindness, although I didn't need or want anybody's false pity.

Even though I suspect that initially their reasons were partly based on curiosity about me (working single woman) rather than a genuine liking, I was appreciative nonetheless. There was so very little kindness and interest from JWs towards a young working single woman that I have to give a hearty thanks to those who dared to be humane and not treat me like I was a cross between Jezebel and an alien from outer space!

VILLAGE GIRL:

Even though I had some social problems within the congregation (well, I consider them to be other people's problems), I certainly feel for the fact that a single woman with children had it worse off. Not only were you dead tired, but you were also made to feel accountable for what your children did. This is certainly not fair. Also, nobody gave a rat's ass about your circumstances, however, if you were known to be dating a worldly guy all the attention focused on you. And it was negative attention.

It just kills me how they don't care if a single woman is alive or not. But, god forbid, she find a man!! If figure this is because they know that once a woman gets married, all the users in the religion can no longer bother her.

Nope, I don't miss any of it.

• sir82
    sir82

Agreed, but I fear it is the beginning of a new trend:

1) Select a Bible book

2) Ignore the meaning, the background, the historical context, and all the abundant scholarly information about it

3) Instead, cherry-pick isolated verses which, out of context, seem to support the behavioral demands of the Governing Body for its followers, but have nothing whatsoever to do with the actual message of the writer

4) Wash, rinse, repeat

New release for 2014: "Obadiah - can you pioneer like he did?"

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

lol sir2. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit