Is this the BEST pre-TITLE sequence in movie history?

by Terry 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• jws
    jws

Eh. Maybe I can't be grabbed.

So there's this annoying kid banging who refuses to stop when his mother tells him to. Most of us have been there, maybe on a plane. I think I'm not alone in imagining that such a child is sucked out of the plane and peace is restored. And I do say imagined. Fantasized. Not that we'd actually want harm to come to the child, but we can all imagine the child vanishing.

In this movie it happens. The child falls out of the train. Were this a dark comedy, this may be a hilarious moment followed by a snarky remark. Or maybe a lesson along the lines of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory where the bratty kids get what they deserve.

But, it's a drama apparently and nobody is amused. They are all shocked and horrified that the kid who was just annoying the hell out of them is now either badly injured or dead.

However, one woman is impervious to what is going on around her and seems not the least bit phased. When others wonder how she can be so calloused, they notice a tatoo on her arm that implies she was a concentration camp survivor. And that's how she can be immune to horrors.

Sorry, not too interested in where it goes from there.

They could follow the woman and her child. Is it a story of him being terribly injured and his comeback or failure to while his mother's life falls to pieces in agony? Not interested. Is the child dead and we follow this woman's life through the agony of child loss? Doesn't seem like a topic for cinema back then, especially with that type of setup.

No, right before the credits, the focus shifted to this shell-shocked concentration camp survivor. So I'm guessing the rest of the story follows her. And return from the ashes seems to fit that thought.

But so far, the story has said nothing about her. She's shell shocked because she was in a concentration camp. OK. And I want to watch a movie with a virtually comatose woman why? Nothing's hooked me into her. Maybe back in the 60's in a pre Viet Nam world, there was some innocence and a curiosity about what happened. In today's world, I'm not intrigued. And I'm also guessing that, given a movie from the mid 60's, the portrayal of a concentration camp survivor is probably not an accurate one either and is toned down for the audiences of the day.

No offense, this just doesn't grab me. Can't think of anything I'd prefer off the top of my head. Hard to remember where the opening credits fall as they irritate me and I tend to block out memory of them. And so many good hook films are probably disqualified because the credits used to always open the show before you see anything else.

• glenster
    glenster

aka pre-credit sequence

Touch of Evil
    Goldfinger
    Ghostbusters
    Raising Arizona
    Pulp Fiction

earlier

Crime Without Passion (1934)
    Destry Rides Again (1939)
    The Egg and I (1947)
    Rommell, Desert Fox (1951)

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

This music is dreamy and sexy. I never heard of this movie or John Dankworth. I think it is so fantastic to hear beautiful music, for the first time. Thank you for sharing.

Just Lois

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am not sure if it is pre-title, but the start of Lawrence of Arabia is pretty good, the shimmering heat of the desert, with what appears to be a small black dot in the centre until it gets bigger and bigger and then Omar Sharif falls off his camel, or did I get that last bit wrong ?

• talesin
    talesin

lol @ Phizzy .... haha .. :P

and glenster, a big yes on Raising Arizona as a top choice.

jws - maybe, and I don't know anything about this flick ... there will be a twisted story about how this child and woman are connected, one that keeps the viewer guessing until the very end.

:D

Since I didn't watch the flick, nor have I googled it, I'm asking, is this a film noir? It's a bit 'late' for that (mid-60s?), but still ...

tks

t

• zeb
    zeb

Have any of you folks ever bumped into someone with the death camp tattoo on their arm? It is a chastening moment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit