WT: Train your kids to shut up - April 2013 OKM

by aposta-Z 30 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

As a school teacher I know there are times and places where kids are expected to sit quietly and act respectfully, but I'd never hit a kid to get them to comply, even if it were legal (they severely tempt me though, especially teenaged boys). Kids have different needs, attention spans and tolerances at different ages, and I'm sure all you parents reading this know you can't expect the same from a toddler as you can from a teenager, but they can be trained according to their level of development. Meetings and assemblies are beyond their level, so I always thougt it good when parents brought them colouring books, toys, blankets etc. At conventions a lot of parents would set up in the corridors with their families and have their kids play quietly while they supervised and listened to the talks.

There is a way to train your kids I believe, a way which doesn't involve beating or boring the poor little things. There is benefit in being trained to sit still from a young age, and it pays off at school. You don't have to beat them into it though.

• Zordino
    Zordino

I remember as a child sitting through those 7 day DC's back in the 70's. It was absolutely Horrible. No AC, boring talk after boring talk. I think 7 days and 8 hrs per day of that could harm a child mentally I'm sure.

Sick uneducated Bastards!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I think you're right there. At least school is designed with different subjects, activities, sports days, play times, arts, and all that so there's plenty of variety and a sense of momentum.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I heard my father spanked me when I was a few months old...

They had to counsel one the Kingdom Halls I was in, because the entrance of the Kingdom Hall faced the road. Beatings were frequent and visible to all passerby. I believe the message was, "Be less visible."

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I too have a regret that has haunted me for years. At a DC I was in the restroom and a woman came in with a little 2-3 year old and took a belt and beat the living daylights out of him. I came out of the stall and was so upset and made it known I was not happy, i was literally shaking from hearing the beating. The other sisters in the restroom were in shock by what happened too. Well this woman with the child was sitting behind us with her mother and I was very vocal when I told my husband what I had witnessed. They got up and moved to another row but I regret to this day that I did not go to those in charge, I can only imagine what that little child suffered behind closed doors. After that I told myself I would never let something like that ever continue and I didn't care if they were a JW or not I would take action.

Parents are discouraged from allowing their children to color in coloring books at meetings.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yeah that's stupid but most parents ignore that counsel thankfully.

How's this, at one of my last meetings, when I'd learned ttatt, I was out in the lobby cuz I couldn't stand the drivelling slosh-tower study and was talking to the attendant and a bro who was there with his little daughter who he'd taken out because she was ratty. The dad and the attendant started making jokes about beating the kid, though the dad's a pretty laid back guy who wouldn't beat a kid madly imo. The attendant cracked wise about having different belts lined up to choose from, and I said, 'I can't believe you guys are making jokes about child abuse!'

Just glad the attendant doesn't have kids.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

You are right, that is not something to joke about!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

The scary thing though, Aunt Fancy, is that they thought nothing of it. It's so common too. I too may have laughed about it a few years ago.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Between the ages of 4 and 7 I would get the belt or wooden spoon after the meeting for being a typical 4-7 year old more times than I care to remember. It was for talking too much or being squirmie or wanting to fall asleep. I am breaking the cycle with my kids.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Oh, the wooden spoon....brings back memories:(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit