Hello

by Seraphim23 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Hi Brian. I love London will be visiting there in a month. What happened that you got kicked off another message board - that is kind of funny!

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Thanks for that link Fernando. I’ll give it a look. Thanks again for all the other comments as well from everyone.

Jomavrick London is certainly a busy place lol. I live right in the centre of it near Paddington.

The other message board had a hierarchy who could not brook my biblical arguments that homosexuals are not condemned in the bible. So they banned me from talking about it even on a biblical basis, however when I switched subjects to things like evolution, which I accept as true, and Adam and Eve being in my view symbolic and the ramifications of that to biblical interpretation, and my philosophical method of asking questions and exploring theistic issues, despite the fact I believe in God and Jesus, they didn’t like it. So they set a trap for me by bringing up the gay issue themselves which compelled me to answer them. So they banned me for a month to begin with, for what they call a `time out` to think about what I was doing, even though they didn’t explain the reason for the time out until after the event. I did say to them that if I am not allowed to talk about homosexuality then such a rule should apply to everyone but that reasoning wasn’t accepted. So when one of their mods brought that subject up once again and I replied to it, I was banned on that basis permanently.

I think really it was because I had a different theology to theirs and they just didn’t like it. It was a board for JWs and x JWs billed as a haven for those who needed spiritual support, but anyone who didn’t fit that mould of belief who needed support was not welcome. In other words one is welcome there if one agrees with their theological views. If one goes too far away from what they think is essential doctrine, their number is up. Yet despite all this they think they are not part of organised religion. It is a fascination how one can become exactly what one is trying to escape or recover from without even realising it.

You can probably detect a bit of hurt in my explanation and that is true actually. To be hurt by a religion and then hurt again by others who were also hurt by that religion is not easy to take. It can make one feel welcome nowhere at all. However I do have lots of real-life friends so I’m ok but anyhow that’s what happened with the last board I was on. After that I made my own board because one cannot be kicked off one’s own board but it’s not very active so I came here. Fortunately this board doesn’t seem to be against different viewpoints.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I should also add that during the time I got banned the mods there even started a thread filled with posts that they solicited from select members on why I was bad enough to be got rid of. I’m still shocked they went as low as they did, but I guess Jesus was murdered by fellow Jews so perhaps I got off lightly.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yup, I've visited an active Christian board and I found it's discussions stultifying. I indulge a private desire to share the full breadth of my language here, that I never do IRL. That is, if I don't want my co-workers and friends to stare at me like I've grown antlers. This is a pretty open discussion board, and pretty darn active, too.

I don't think any group or person can completely fill the desire for free expression in one place. I tailor my message for the audience.

In the last few days, I've been fighting the urge to unfriend a bunch of folks on Facebook for spreading hoaxes. Did you know that drinking hot water can prevent heart attacks?

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Jgnat

I agree and that’s a good word `stultifying`. I think with me I tend look past people’s intellectual viewpoints when it comes to theology to see the genuineness or not of the heart inside. Such things are a bit like clothes to me in that they never tell one who is underneath. I think God is the same with the secret person of the heart being of such high value. It’s just so many of the followers who seem to have a hard time with it.

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Wow, that is some kind of intollerance. Hope we never run into that here. At least I have never seen it, people should be able to discuss and disagree even passionatly about any subject. You know that is often how we learn by listening to people who disagree with us.

By the way what is your favorite museum in London?

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

It’s nice to know some boards can be tolerant.

Favourite museum has to be the natural history museum then the science museum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit