Does anyone remember letter from GB "end is imminent" around 2009?

by cha ching 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cha ching
    cha ching

My sister remembers, hearing at HER congregation, a strongly worded letter from "the Society" that hinted that "we may not be getting any more letters from the Society, as the end is coming soon."

She thinks it was around 2009, or after.. anyone remember this?

As a result of this letter:

It caused a stir in her congregation, as one brother cried out, "Come Lord Jesus, come!", and one missionary brother thought he'd only live in his new house for one month before the end would come. Month after month, each Sunday meeting, they had a talk on Armaggedon and "the end." Some bible students were freaking out.

A brother totally made up a letter, as IF it came from the GB, he read it on a service meeting part.. that said:

"This is the last letter you may get from us, because the great tribulation is about to begin."

Adding, "How would you feel if you got a letter like that? Would you be good with God?"

Was this just one congregation going overboard? Or, did anyone else have an experience like this?

Does anyone remember the original letter from the Society?

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I remember it being read at the KM school because the attendees and their wives were in a stir about it and calling everyone about it. According to the attendees, there were no hints, it said we would not see another year in this system.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I may be crazy, but I think I vaguely remember a letter like that 4 or 5 years ago. But I can’t be sure…

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Sure, it must have been a copy of the letter from 2008,1998,1988,1978, 1968,etc etc

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I think I read the letter in the yearbook from the gb to us.

• cha ching
    cha ching

thank you all.. still haven't found what she's looking for

llamallcool: I looked in the yearbooks I have... (CD 2006-2009) but I think I tossed by 2010.. ;-) I forgot about the yearbooks and the GB letters.. That would be a good place... but can't find 2010-2012

dropoffyourkeylee: haha... LOVE it! yep, it's always "imminent"

dazedbutnotconfused: 4-5 years ago? hmmm my sister is sure it was after they changed the "bookstudy" in private homes, to "bible study" to same night at service meeting.. That was so the elders could better keep track of us... "help us"

shopaholic: km school? now that's interesting, but she's sure she heard it at a 'service meeting' (she didn't get to go to km school)

thx

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Are you sure this isn't a rumor? If not, you'd think the leadership would learn to not to do things like that. Are they brain dead?

The sixth seal earthquake hasn't happened, the "beast" hasn't manifested himself, the Jews haven't built their temple and many other things that are prophesied and haven't yet happened.

I'd be surprised that they would be so foolish...but, I could be wrong.

Maybe they were talking about the price hike in postage.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Was it this one?

"Just now, all the nations of the world are fast approaching the most terrible crises of their national existences. In a great time of unparalleled trouble, which is even now imminent, they are about to reap what they have sown. They have sown to the wind the seeds of selfishness, and now they are about to reap the whirlwind of terror and the destruction of all law and order, and of national and social organization." Watchtower 1912 12/1 RS139

Oh sorry, that was 1912, not 2012.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

That's the letter but printed with a different font to reflect the advent of the type writer! Mr.Grundy, I love your sense of humor with all those nasty facts, historical facts are plaguing the Tower these days, thanks to you and Simon and JWN!

"

"Just now, all the nations of the world are fast approaching the most terrible crises of their national existences. In a great time of unparalleled trouble, which is even now imminent, they are about to reap what they have sown. They have sown to the wind the seeds of selfishness, and now they are about to reap the whirlwind of terror and the destruction of all law and order, and of national and social organization." Watchtower 1912 12/1 RS139

Oh sorry, that was 1912, not 2012." JW Facts

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Rings a bell. But JWs interpret any change as meaning the 'end must be so close!" Remember when they told everyone to keep bags literally packed and ready to go by your door? "The brothers know something, they're really preparing us..." Yep, just like in North Korea where war with America has been 'imminent' for the last 60 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit