Does anyone remember letter from GB "end is imminent" around 2009?

by cha ching 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cha ching
    cha ching

yep, the word "imminent" is a fave of theirs... over the centuries...

It must have been something in HER hall, it scared her to death!

The tribulation was "just around the corner...."

Someone DOES remember Ted Jaracz saying, "the end is so close I can taste it!"

Does anyone else?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The end was "imminent" ever since 1872. I heard much about 1975. Myself I heard other witlesses hoping that it wouldn't reach the year 2000, and that it couldn't make it much past 1995. And I remember how the washtowel was supposed to set off the Great Tribulation with its waste of paper campaign in the fall of 2006 (which did nothing). Deliverance at hand? Remember 2006? They effectively predicted that it would come in early or mid 2007--another flop. Maybe not as explicitly as they did for 1975, but I do remember the discussion that Armageddon wouldn't be as long as another year later and that they were going to start the Great Tribulation with the 2006 waste of paper campaign.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I do remember this letter or announcement. One elder at our hall said he had gotten word from someone at bethel about an announcement at the bethel table and he related the announcement earlier then we had the letter. He related it as if it were fact, it was just so encouraging. Ho-humm, nothing happened. This elder was always relating something as if he were in on the GB's meetings every Wednesday. Such a wanna be.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Just what is imminent?

"Daaaaad, the mowing of the yard is imminent!"

"Chillllllllldren...desert is imminent. Eat your ground beef carcus and go to bed!"

"Brethren, based on our holy, eminent men in the GB, Armageddon is imminent! So I'll pay my church offerings by the time we begin to see it."

"Alright kids, time to start making your Christmas lists. You guys know what you're getting this special holiday? Let's all close our eyes. Eyes all closey, closey, artichokey? Now what do you see? That's right. Nuthin'! And don't forget to tell your little friends that there is no Santa Claus! That's what God wants you to do!"

Besides, how would a GB member know how imminent such things were? They repeatedly say they don't receive revelation and they deny they're apostles (which means "sent ones").

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

The GB are a group of little minded selfish men who throw a tantrum when someone is not looking at them, so they have to make silly stories up. "Look at me, Look at me, Look at me", ...... As I kept intently listening to them I failed to notice that everyone else had left and I stood alone. No one bothered me to tell me they were leaving. I was the last fool. as I turned away, no one bothered looking anymore when they said, "Look at me"!!!

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

In the 1930's they would howl about a drought that affected the corn and tie that into imminent Armeggodon. In the late 60's the earth would be too unsafe to live. Yada Yada

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

You might be thinking of the 2009 DC, where the word "imminent" was used in literally (yes, literally) every talk to describe the end. I was already on the way out and I leaned over and whispered to my husband, "So what does "imminent" mean?" I told him later that if the end comes within six months of that DC, then the WT is right; otherwise, they are liars.

Well, it's all history now.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Of course the end is imminent according to the Watxhtower Society. The Jehovah's Witness religion is a doomsday cult, and without throwing the words "the end is imminent" out there......they would cease to be a doomsday cult.

• sir82
    sir82

I've posted this before, but it fits here, so.....

No long after this DC, one of our more wack-a-doodle elders was giving a talk, or a service meeting Q&A, or something.

He concluded by saying something like this:

"Friends, what did they say at our District Convention? Is the end close? Did they say it was close? I didn't hear them say it was close. Did you hear them say it was close? I didn't hear that.

"Friends, they said the end was.....

<Dramatic pause.....nostrils flaring, eyes bugging out.....dramatic pause extends.....>

"IMMINENT!!!!"

• cha ching
    cha ching

I nsanely

M alicious

M alintentedly

I njurious

N arcissisticly

E ver-changing

N ever to be challenged

T hreat

Share this