More failed JW chronology

by Jeffro 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Larsinger58:

5. As far as Ahaziah of Judah "becoming king" in both the 11th and 12th years of Jehoram of Israel, note this does not represent a "Nisan-based" vs. "Tishri-based" rulership assignment, though that was a reasonable way to try to harmonize this reference. In actuality, when the Bible mentions a person "became king," it can either be a reference to their co-rulership or their sole rulership. That's why you have the mention of the same person becoming king twice, years apart. Case in point Jehoram of Israel. He becomes king once in the 18th of Jehoshaphat (2 Kings 3:1) and again in the 5th year of Jehoram of Judah!! (2 Kings 8:16). Jehoram of Judah, of course, did not become king until the 2nd year of Jehoram of Israel. That simply means that king Ahab also died in the 5th year of Jehoram of Judah, the time when Jehoram "became king" a second time, in his own 6th year, after a 6-year co-rulership (out of 12) with his father Ahab.

As with his other claims, there are various problem here.

Firstly, despite what is 'suggested' by Lars above, my chart already properly accounts for the coregencies of both Jehoram (of Judah) and Jehoram (of Israel).

Secondly, he claims I am mistaken about the Nisan- and Tishri-based reckonings for Ahaziah's reign, but after waffling on about the two Jehorams, he doesn't actually say anything about where he would otherwise place the reign of Ahaziah.

Thirdly, there isn't an alternative for placing a second starting point for the reign of Ahaziah, as it comes between the reigns of Ahab and Jehoram, which already accounts for the the period of Jehoram's co-regency with Ahab, which followed Ahaziah's own co-regency with Ahab.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

More Larsinger58 wrongness:

4. Note that there was a 6-year co-rulership between Rehoboam and Solomon. Shishak attacked Judah and Israel late in the reign and co-rulership of Solomon/Rehoboam. Jeroboam was still in exile at the time. Jeroboam was the friend of Shishak. If this took place after Jeroboam began his reign in the north, then Shishak would be attacking his own friend! But if year 5 of Rehoboam is only year 39 of Solomon, then Shishak was actually helping his friend, Jeroboam. This was by destroying the fortified cities in the northern kingdom so that Jeroboam would find it difficult to wage war in the north and reclaim the 10 tribes! So Shishak was not devastating the kingdom of his friend, Rehoboam, but disestablishing the stronghold of Jeroboam, who indeed, resisted at first the kingship of Jeroboam.

According to the Bible, which Larsinger58 superficially claims is his source material, Shishak (Sheshonq) attacked Jerusalem and the cities of Judah, so the timing of the reign of Jeroboam is irrelevant. My reckoning of events places the attack in 925BCE, which I've just now confirmed online to be the same year secular sources place Sheshonq's campaign through Canaan.

Larsinger58's claim that Shishak was Jeroboam's "friend" is also speculation. The Bible only says that Jeroboam sought protection from Egypt while Solomon was alive, and says nothing at all about the ultimate goals or motivations of Shishak or of any ongoing relationship with Jeroboam.

Also, 2 Chronicles 12:1 does not suggest a co-regency between Solomon and Rehoboam, but rather, it explicitly states that Rehoboam's reign was "firmly established".

(2 Chronicles 12:1-9) And it came about that, as soon as the kingship of Re·ho·bo′am was firmly established and as soon as he was strong, he left the law of Jehovah, and also all Israel with him. 2 And it came about in the fifth year of King Re·ho·bo′am that Shi′shak the king of Egypt came up against Jerusalem, (for they had behaved unfaithfully toward Jehovah,) 3 with twelve hundred chariots and with sixty thousand horsemen; and there was no number to the people that came with him out of Egypt—Lib′y·ans, Suk′ki·im and E·thi·o′pi·ans. 4 And he got to capture the fortified cities that belonged to Judah and finally came as far as Jerusalem. 5 Now as for She·mai′ah the prophet, he came to Re·ho·bo′am and the princes of Judah who had gathered themselves at Jerusalem because of Shi′shak, and he proceeded to say to them: “This is what Jehovah has said, ‘YOU, for your part, have left me, and I, too, for my part, have left YOU to the hand of Shi′shak.’” 6 At that the princes of Israel and the king humbled themselves and said: “Jehovah is righteous.” 7 And when Jehovah saw that they had humbled themselves, the word of Jehovah came to She·mai′ah, saying: “They have humbled themselves. I shall not bring them to ruin, and in a little while I shall certainly give them an escape, and my rage will not pour forth upon Jerusalem by the hand of Shi′shak. 8 But they will become servants of his, that they may know the difference between my service and the service of the kingdoms of the lands.” 9 So Shi′shak the king of Egypt came up against Jerusalem and took the treasures of the house of Jehovah and the treasures of the king’s house. Everything he took; and so he took the gold shields that Sol′o·mon had made.

In the Jewish narrative, the attack was a 'punishment' for Rehoboam for 'leaving the law of Jehovah'. In reality, Shishak's attack was more indiscriminate, and included some Israelite cities as well (along with other Canaanite cities).

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The timeline mentioned at the beginning of this thread is now located here.

If you notice any errors, please let me know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit