QFR How should Christians view fortune cookies?

by truthseeker 23 Replies latest jw friends

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I do have JW relatives who refuse to even read their fortune....sigh...stupid legalistic cult

• gcs7000
    gcs7000

My favorite fortune-cookie fortune read: "Something wonderful is about to happy."

Also, read any fortune and add the phrase "in bed."

• Dagney
    Dagney

AH! Good one.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, well. Did somebody say my name?

Not a bad go at it. The title made me suspicious, but you were good there, very good. I was almost fooled! I would've included some more thinly veiled threats and possibly a personal experience or two, perhaps someone named "Andre" or something...but otherwise, good work!

--sd-7

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

When ever you read a fortune cookie you need to add the words "in bed" to any fortune.

You will be surprised how your fortune changes with these two words.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would worry more about the monosodium glutamate in the food, or the potentially dangerous Chinese food itself, than about a damn fortune cookie. And, since these things are printed at random, it is pretty unlikely to mean anything. Play the lottery numbers? Each cookie gets a different set of numbers, and they can't all be winners--you are as likely to lose on those numbers. Just like the horoscopes in the newspapers, fortunes are meant as entertainment value only. Sort of like the Cracker Jack prizes.

And if the witlesses don't like reading fortunes from fortune cookies (and yes, the night before my baptism, I had that experience of everyone else reading their fortunes while I stupidly ripped mine up), I don't know what they are going to do about my getting a full professional astrology report. And not the newspaper version, either. The version where you need an exact time and place of birth, they find your ascendant, and they calculate every planetary aspect. And mine contained, among others, a strong warning that enemies would tamper with my prospects for salvation. I guess that was manifest when I became a jokehovian, though that thing calling itself my "father(??)" didn't exactly enhance my life.

Where was that astrology report when I most needed it, such as in the early 1980s, so I could have been warned about my Pluto conjunct Zosma in my 12th house, indicating that enemies would place my spirituality on lockdown (that thing calling itself my "father(??)") and then the witlesses exploiting that? At least, with a warning, I could have refused the witlesses.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Eh, that this even comes up shows what a killjoy religion the WTBTS/JWs can be. They didn't need to write it-we all know exactly what the article would say, right? (see above)
  • blondie
    blondie
    This is one of those strain out the gnats and gulp down the camel.
  • kairos
    kairos

I was the visiting speaker years ago and for "hospitality" my wife and I were taken to Chinese food for lunch. The family was getting super uncomfortable about the fortune cookies on the table at the end of the meal.

We went right for the cookies and read the fortunes to each other. ( wife and I )
    I may have stumbled them...

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    But is itĀ OK to feed a fortune cookie to a smurf?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit