QFR How should Christians view fortune cookies?

by truthseeker 23 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

This is crazy....

Questions From Readers

How s hould Christians view fortune cookies?

Fortune cookies are often served as a dessert in Chinese restaurants in the United States and some other countries, but are absent in China. Various immigrant groups in California claim to have popularized them in the early 20th century, basing their recipe on a traditional Japanese cracker. They have been summarized as being "introduced by the Japanese, popularized by the Chinese, but ultimately ... consumed by Americans."

A fortune cookie is a crisp cookie usually made from flour, sugar, vanilla, and sesame seed oil with a "fortune" wrapped inside. A "fortune" is a piece of paper with words of wisdom or a vague prophecy. The message may include a Chinese phrase with translation or a list of lucky numbers used by some as lottery numbers.

Many persons view these cookies and the message inside them as harmless fun but for true Christians, there are hidden spiritual dangers. Much of what the world views as entertainment is condemned by Jehovah God and this would include the eating of fortune cookies and reading the "fortunes" contained within them. This is tantamount to spiritism, a practice that Jehovah condemns.

If a group of Christians were to patron a Chinese restaurant, consider how the actions of just one person who discusses the message found in a fortune cookie could caffect the whole group. How much better it is to heed the following advice: "therefore if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat flesh at all, that I may not make my brother stumble" (1 Corinthians 8:13).

Some brothers and sisters have been known to openly discuss the meaning of their "fortunes". Some have even been known to buy lottery tickets using the numbers provided in these cookies. Such action constitues blatant disregard against Jehovah's commandments and the direction he provides through the "faithful and discreet slave class" (Matthew 24:44,45). If a brother or sister were to pay attention to the words contained inside a fortune cookie, this could lead to an unhealty occupation with the occult. If we were to ignore the Scriptural counsel provided by the "faithful and discreet slave class", we could develop traits that could result in willful sin against the spirit, the loss of Jehovah’s favor, and eventual destruction ( Matthew 12:31, 32 ).

The Devil's goal is to turn everyone away from Jehovah and he does this by making this system of things look as enticing as possible. Let us continue to resist the spirit of the world and pay "more than the usual attention" to the things that Jehovah's organization warns us against (Hebrews 2:1).

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

When was this QFR published?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

What issue is the above QFR from?

Fortune Cookie

• Dagney
    Dagney

You are kidding right? Please tell me you are kidding...

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The first two paragraphs of that "QFR" are virtually word-for-word from the Wikipedia article on "Fortune cookie" only the order of the two paragraphs is switched:

A fortune cookie is a crisp cookie usually made from flour, sugar, vanilla, and sesame seed oil with a "fortune" wrapped inside. A "fortune" is a piece of paper with words of wisdom or a vague prophecy. The message inside may also include a Chinese phrase with translation or a list of lucky numbers used by some as lottery numbers, some of which have become actual winner numbers. [ 1 ]

Fortune cookies are often served as a dessert in Chinese restaurants in the United States and some other countries, but are absent in China. The exact provenance of fortune cookies is unclear, though various immigrant groups in California claim to have popularized them in the early 20th century, basing their recipe on a traditional Japanese cracker. Fortune cookies have been summarized as being "introduced by the Japanese, popularized by the Chinese, but ultimately ... consumed by Americans." [ 2 ]

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

BS Meter

Truthseeker is evidently a SD-7 wannabe

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Oubliette,

You got me there!! :)

As a matter of fact, I just finished a Chinese meal and the article came to mind.

• undercover
    undercover

Good parady... and not so far from the truth.

I remember as a kid, we were not allowed to read our 'forutnes' from fortune cookies. And the reasoning wasn't so far from what the parady article alluded to.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

TS - no worries!

You had me for a minute. But there was a little too much MSG in your writing for it to be real!

Also, the WT would have said, "How should TRUE Christians view fortune cookies?"

Although, leaving out the " some of which have become actual winner numbers " phrase was a nice touch of authentic WT quote mining.

SD-7 would be proud!!!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Are cats for Christians?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit