The United Nations will attack Christendom

by Doug Mason 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Thanks all.

Other thoughts are most welcome!

With your help I therefore understand that the WTS says this Great Tribulation begins with the UN acting politically to end all religions. This political interference is then paused to protect the JWs. The sun darkens (etc). during that pause. After that the Great Tribulation reaches its climax with Armageddon, at which time Jesus comes/appears as Judge. And the GB floats off to take their seats in the government in heaven.

I am not saying I agree with any of this fanciful picture. I purely want to understand - otherwise how can one intelligently reason against it?

Thanks,

Doug

• smiddy
    smiddy

Communist Russia and China are good examples of a nation trying to eradicate religion , it just couldnt be done.

The U.N. has already had their "Year of Peace and Security" declaration in 1986 ? 27 years later nothing has changed , no instant destruction came then. That was supposed to be tied in with the attack on religion.

smiddy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

It's a fool's dream. In the US, the most militant of the religious are ALSO the most militant gun owners and make no bones about taking up arms to defend their faith.

I know this to be anecdotally true from living in the south, being a member of a private gun range and living in a town with 3 churches for every square mile. And being a liberal atheist that owns 11 guns.

I'm prepping for zombies, dammit!

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

That would be feasable only IF :

a) The "beast" is the UN; and

b) The "harlot" is meant to represent the false religion as a whole.

If any of these isn't true, then the prophetic interpretation is wrong.

Now, from a theoretical point of view, is it likely that some day, the political powers of this world get antagonical towards religion in general? I would say that isn't entirely impossible, and not to be dismissed as a probability. But it would take a radical change of heart, and unless there's a global, shocking event that causes such, I don't see it happenning overnight.

Eden

• Abandoned Pathways
    Abandoned Pathways

I'm not sure if it's ever been printed but I've heard it said by many JWs that when the UN turns on religion everyone 'claiming to be a Christian' (not a jw) will immediately give up their religion. The think that they are the only ones who will refuse to compromise, that they alone are loyal to God. Everyone else only practices their religion for show or personal gain, once persecution starts they will abandon their beliefs in a heartbeat.

Apparently Satan (or the UN?) will see that JWs are the only ones still practicing their religion after the UN ban and, just as they are about to turn on them, they are destroyed by Armageddon.

I'd really like to know if it's an official teaching. If it is, it's probably one of the most ridiculous, deluded, insulting ones yet.

• bigmac
    bigmac

its just the latest governing body cop=out. the UN going after religion starts the great tribulation. yeah right. so the GB can now say its the next great sign to look out for. it will keep the sheep looking out for it for generations to come.---but--

----in the meantime keep them contributions rolling in.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I'm not sure if it's ever been printed but I've heard it said by many JWs that when the UN turns on religion everyone 'claiming to be a Christian' (not a jw) will immediately give up their religion.

That sounds suspiciously like the Left Behind series. Yes, I read it. Don't ask why.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

I do not think that Revelations (or almost no part of it) is written for us at all... the beast itself was probably the Roman Empire and Babylon the Great was referring to Israel since they betrayed their master and fullfiller of the law Christ Jesus.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Jehovah's Witnesses don't use the word "Christendom" in the dictionary sense of the term, which commonly refers to the countries where Christianity is the dominant religion, i.e. mainly Europe and the former colonies. Instead they use it simply to refer to all the Christian denominations grouped together. So they envisage an attack by the UN on all the religious organisations that call themselves Christian rather than on Christian nations, or Christendom as such.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

In WT terminology, "Christendom" = All [false] christian religions other than the [true] christian Jehovah's Witnesses. It's a non-biblical concept, anyway.

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit