How Has the WT's False Predictions Damaged You Personally?

by Perry 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

In those years leading up to 1975, those of us who had even entered into an apprenticeship were pressured to give it up and go "pioneering." I secumbed to that pressure (actually, in my case it was more like a direct order!).

It took many years afterwards to catch up, entering into an adult apprenticeship when I (by that stage) had a young family to support. The real victims were my three children. So much for Making your Family Life Happy (TM).

Bill.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

It didn't damage me that much, because I saw long ago that they revised some of their teachings. If something didn't quite sound right, I figured they'd revise it later. So if one of their previous teachings became a false interpretation, then no big deal. That was just the way is worked.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I now question the existence of god. He seems so impotent in dealing with entities such as the Watchtower that have given so many false hopes in his name.

Children told they will live forever in a new world where they can play with lions & tigers & ride on elephants.

Children told they will never have to go to school because the new world will be here before then.

Children told they wont ever have to find a job in this old system because the new world will offer so many wonderful opportunities for young ones.

Children told their future lives depended on being obedient to these religious leaders

Children told NOT to rely on their own understanding, to only rely on what their religious leaders of the only 'true' religion said & Jehovah their best friend who will NEVER let them down.

These JW children grew up TOTALLY unprepared for reality, both mentally & emotionally.

They DID have to go to school even though their religious leaders were still spouting the same nonsense.

They DID have to get good grades even though their religious leaders were still telling them not to go on to higher education.

They DID have to find jobs even though their religious leaders were still telling them to put the interests of the 'Kingdom' first in their lives ie Watchtower interests.

They should've saved for their retirement even though their religious leaders said this old world would be long gone before then.

Financially these children are now facing an uncertain old age whilst their religious leaders have no such worries.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I find it difficult to say as I don't know how life would have turned out had I not been raised a Witness.

I was raised to live with the prospect of the end of this system being of things being imminent and made decisions based on this view. However as a Christian maybe my life wouldn't have been any different. "Become imitators of me, even as I am of Christ" (1Corinthians 11:1 NWT) "Therefore, whether you are eating or drinking of doing anything else, do all things for God's glory" (1Corinthians 10:31NWT) Paul was a missionary.

I dropped out of High School to pioneer. I still managed to get work later as graphic artist at a publisher. I've never been unemployed. God's blessing or great talent? lol. Maybe good looks.

On the other hand maybe I wouldn't have been a Christian. I'm not the sort to go to church. Always felt even when I was a Witness if my parents hadn't accepted it and become Witnesses I wouldn't have.

Some of the experiences that help me maintain my faith occured I think because we were Witnesses. I had a dream last night, a scary one, and it made me think about it again. I think it was triggered by a thread on here about Adam.

• javeca
    javeca

Thos of us who were raised in the JW's (in this I mean those of us who were either born into, were under the age of 6), those false predictions have left many of us with some serious psych hang ups.

JW doctrine is based on instilling fear in a person, and they the only way to cure the fear is follow the sierra for brains in Brooklyn. One cannot maintain the guilt/fear mentality for any length of time before the mind starts to breakdown from the stress. In short, human beings are not designed to maintain the flight reflex for any lengthy period of time, it is a survival mechnism, not a way of life. It leave us with many trust issues, we are taught from the get go not to trust anyone "of the world" only trust the GB and our brother's and sisters in the congregation, which in turn makes the threat of disfellowshiping such a powerful tool for the Elders.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Javeca...Hello! We are happy you posted. I am curious. Has something recently changed in your life, that you finally decided to post a comment?

Just Lois

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

"At least I don't have AIDS".

lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit