How Has the WT's False Predictions Damaged You Personally?

by Perry 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

How Has the WT's False Predictions Damaged You Personally?

I was 12 in 1975. I never believed I'd "make it". After I made it, I never really trusted adults again. It severely damaged my ability and willingness to trust.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

I'll tell you as soon as you tell me the name of your adorable African Grey Parrot.

• Perry
    Perry

Scooter

• GonzoX
    GonzoX

Born in 'The Truth' I always believed they were the only true religion. I believed if I disobeyed Jehovah, I would be destroyed at armageddon. These teachings were deeply in grained in me.

When I was 27 I was disfellowshipped. Quite honestly this scared the hell out of me, knowing I would die at armageddon. After 15 years, I finally got reenstated. About a year after I was reenstated I went to the elders for help with a problem. Within two weeks I was disfellowshipped again. This made me question how such a policy could of complete abandonment helped?

After the JC told me I was going to be DF that night I went to visit a close friend who I grew up with at my old KH. He had me read Crisis of Conscious. The information in that book blew my mind. I was forced to listen to lies by my parents for 40 years.

So to answer your question, at one time:

I thought, I knew why people die.

I thought, I knew what happens at death.

I thought, I knew the prospect of humanity.

I thought, I knew the Bible.

Today I know I was lied to. This infuriates me.

Today, I don't know why people die, what happens at death, the prospect of humanity, or even the bible. In fact, I even question whether this is even a god.

• Eustace
    Eustace

In fact, I even question whether this is even a god.

That's what the Watchtower Society has done to so many people.

Richard Dawkins should send the Governing Body a monthly stipend.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's really difficult to quantify. I made many bad decisions based on the Watchtower's failed predictions, but how can you know what would have happened if only....Would I have gone to college? Would I have married so young and so unwisely if I had not been a dub? Impossible to know. I do know I stayed in a bad marriage because I felt I had to. I do know I was immature and gullible, so even if I hadn't been a dub, I would still have made mistakes. I do know if I hadn't been naive and gullible, I wouldn't even had become a dub.

I do know I have been much happier and better off since I left.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

" Scooter "

THANK YOU, PERRY! I've been asking for years and you've finally told me! Parrots rule!

Back on topic, I've never been directly damaged by failed predictions because I never put much stock in them to begin with. I was generally a reluctant dub, having been dragged into the cult by my parents when I was a child.

When 1975 came and went without earth-shattering incident, however, I did decide to ignore the WTS's assurance that I would never need a career and went to college.

I was lucky in that I got out of the cult relatively unscathed by my experiences. By relatively, I mean a 3-year-long clinical depression that included 2 months of hospitalization. But others here have fared far worse.

• Eustace
    Eustace

By relatively, I mean a 3-year-long clinical depression that included 2 months of hospitalization.

Ah, Jehovah's Witnesses, the ONLY religion where 3 years of clinical depression is getting off easy.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Eustace: " Ah, Jehovah's Witnesses, the ONLY religion where 3 years of clinical depression is getting off easy. "

LOL!!! But still true. Some of the stories I've read here are truly heart-rending, with children involved in tugs-of-war between dubs and their enlightened exes. And the years and years some have endured not being allowed to have contact with their families. Horrible.

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

Eustace - I agree with you about Richard Dawkins. Good point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit