25 YEARS of compiled yearbook statistics

by 88JM 62 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

What happened to the missing 1.7 million?

What Phizzy said, plus "publishers" is different than "baptized". Lots of folks (particularly JW kids) are "publishers" and thus counted in the numbers, but never get baptized, or get baptized many years out into the future.

That said, it is pretty apparent that several hundred thousand have become DF'ed or inactive in the past decade or 2.

• 88JM
    88JM

Hey folks - just noticing this got bumped - did I miss something happening? Was there a reason?

I can't remember if I uploaded a new version with the 2014 data, but I did do the spreadsheet for that too so I'll get that up when I'm back from work today.

Thanks to wifibandit (and Atlantis) for the reminder:

Now that Yearbooks 1927-2014 in PDF (Thanks Atlantis!) are available for download via bittorrent, Can we organize a way to include ALL data?

As I might have tried to explain before, the difficulty is not so much getting the data into a spreadsheet, but it's the wonderful world of international politics and countries changing names and borders that takes time to work out.

Things have been pretty stable for the past 15 years or so, but working back to 1988 things start getting really complicated in the 80's, especially with the Soviet Union in Europe. It can certainly be done, but it just takes time and patience. If someone else wants to have a go, then by all means go ahead.

Maybe I'm just going about it the wrong way and making a mess of it - but I just think if you want actual useful data for individual countries going back as far as possible then you need to work out the country changes. You could ignore them and just dump everything into a messy spreadsheet, but then for some countries (like Russia etc.) you would only have data going back as far as those countries existed in name.

• steve2
    steve2
    88JM - not sure what happened that this got bumped back on top - but I've appreciated the re-read. Good points about changes in countries boundaries and even the organization's tendency over the years to lump certain "territories" together. For example, I understand that at one time, Alaska's and Hawaii's annual publishing tallies were reported as individual countries, but are now part of a collective tally for the USA (which makes territorial sense). Even so, it makes year-by-year and even decade-by-decade comparisons tricky and possibly misleading.
  • 88JM
    88JM

Thanks steve2 - I'm glad someone understands.

Here's the updated version with the latest 2014 data anyway:

Yearbook Stats 1988 - 2014:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_bzL2A4XRiobElEbmhhSW51Z0U/view?usp=sharing

Yearbook Stats by Field 1988- 2014:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_bzL2A4XRioQUh2eVRLOGlJTk0/view?usp=sharing

It looks like it's better to just download them and view/edit in Excel/OpenOffice rather than trying to view in Google Spreadsheets as it has trouble viewing them for some reason - maybe because there's quite a lot of data and formulas.

• skin
    skin
    Thanks 88JM for the updates. Just downloaded them into excel to look at.
  • wifibandit
    wifibandit

Thank you for this work.

Here is a link to an archive of Yearbooks 1927- Present (I will continue to update)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2fYNzAbUpqFb0VMdHA5RGNWYUk&authuser=0

• 88JM
    88JM

Hi folks - sorry to bump an old thread but I hope you didn't think I'd forgotten about this project.

I've been working on this a bit more and I can now say that I have collated 35 years of yearbook statistics, including the latest figures from 2015 in the current yearbook.

The spreadsheets now cover from 1981 to 2015. Also thanks those of you who spotted existing errors and notified me - your corrections should be included. Please feel free to message me if you spot any more, particularly in the years now added for 1981 through to 1987.

Download links to the Excel files are below. If you're unsure what the files are or why there are two, please see the first post in this thread.

As for the future of this project, I know many would like to see data going back to 1974/1975. That is still my original goal, though it was always clear that would take considerable time and effort, which has proven to be the case. For now, I need a bit of a break but I hope to pick this up again some time.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    88JM
    I've been working on this a bit more and I can now say that I have collated 35 years of yearbook statistics, including the latest figures from 2015 in the current yearbook.

Thanks a lot for your hard work.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Good work my man!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Much appreciated 88JM, thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit