Your worst convention experience.

by zeb 91 Replies latest jw experiences

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    I had my toddler (she's now 27), with me in the lunch break. I went to take her to get an ice cream. I went to wait in the queue and an attendant told me to 'keep moving'. I told him to shut his gob.....couldn't he see I was waiting in a queue? Moron.
  • UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

I walked in late to a convention. Some wet behind the ears, wide eyed young lad decided to direct us to '2' seats for my daughter and I right in the center of of a line of seats full middle aged to old sisters.

That was bad enough. But to make matters worse it was during a very emotional video of a sister dying and coming back in the resurrection. All the sisters had tears in their eyes. They must have been thinking who the f*#@ is this AH coming in at this time spoiling the moment. It was embarrassing and awkward to say the least. 😯

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I read through these and really see a different side of conventions. As a teenager in a metropitain area it was always fun. We never had to travel and it was relaxing weekend where not much was expected... got to work with friends doing ‘grown up’ things and felt useful. I can definitely see the other side through some of these experiances... i never had a negative experiance (although they did grow tedious as i got older) until this year.

its not “bad” as far as some of the others expressed here but it left a bad taste for me personally. Ive long since stopped going to meetings although i still have a very few people who call me a friend dispite my beard and lack of care for the org. I ended up having to drop off my daughter at the DC this year (not my fsv choice but a long discussion). when i approached the venue in Richmond va i ended up having to carry her suit case to the coliseum. Besr in mind i spent a decade as an elder with these people. I spent longer as a ms. I gave talks in that very venue. I worked shoulder to shoulder with the clowns who are ‘attendants’ and was off and on the head of “obervation” (the jw word for security).

So as i walk up, carying my daighters suit case, dressed in a suit myself for what ots worth, i am immediately approached by a clown (who knows me!) and asked “do you need help finding a seat?” Bear in mind im outside. As in full on outside the venue, close to 500 feet from the first door. I roll my eyes as i know the jw vernacular and I Conducted the meeting that inteoduced that phrase many years ago. Dumbass. Whatever. I roll my eyes and say no and keep walking. He panics and pulls his phone out. This guy knows me, keep in mind.

I dont want to walk in and deal with this shit on any level. I try to txt my daighter and get her to come meet me and retrieve her suit case so i can get the hell on with my day... shes not responding. I managed to get a hold of someone who saw where they were sitting... sigh... ok fine. I walk in and start to head around to where i think i will find her... i am immediatetly surrounded by 7 “brothers” FIVE OF WHOM KNOW ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I give them a look of ‘really boys’? And one of them looks at the others and says “oh i know him, hes ok”. Meanwhile two other people dragging suitcases go by without a word....

i get the security thought process but for fuck sake but really... they know me. Personally. This was so goddamn necessary. And what a way to be welcoming to someone who may have been a visitor.... i admit it wasnt a big deal but to be surrounded and treated like a criminal or a terrorist...? I will never set foot at a DC again and if i can get my kids out of if i damn sure will. Fucking asshats

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Cimarrona:

Although I'm a man I raised a daughter and feel for you,

I'm sorry you had to go through that,

:0)

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Manchester City stadium 1991. I was about 8yo. It pissed down with rain and if you were one of the silly people to have sat in the front few rows that weren't under the shelter you got soaked. And that was just in the opening song!

yes, my family had been one of the silly ones. I still remember sitting on a wet plastic chair completely soaked and my books all wet too. My mum and her sister under an umbrella.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

This is not my personal experience but it left an impression on me and I'm sure all of those in attendance.

About a half hour before the start of the Friday morning program, a brother sitting in the lower level of the center passed out. They carried him from the row he was sitting on down to the main floor and performed CPR. Emergency medics were called and when they arrived they took over the CPR and life saving efforts. This lasted for what seemed like a half hour or more and into the very beginning of the program. From what I could see, it didnt look well, as there wasn't any movement or responsiveness from him for a while.

Of course this was a big scene and the audience was in shock and many in tears watching. Everthing was happening not far from the stage.

They eventually put him on a stretcher and continued lifesaving efforts while rolling him away. It almost seemed that they continued lifesaving efforts for show because of the thousands of on lookers and for the sake of the family that was standing there... which I could understand.

We found out later the brother died. They spoke from the platform on Sunday that his wife had still attended the other days of the convention.

I remember thinking while they were doing CPR, that if that was my husband and he died in this manner at the convention location we attended for the last 20 years, that I dont think I could come back but of course everyone grieves differently.

• Davros
    Davros

3 words.

Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia.

Anybody who ever went to a District Convention there will immediately understand.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

I was dragged to numerous conventions. I remember especially my hurting ass from all that hard sitting. I went to the toilet a lot just to stretch the legs. Being forced to sit down and be bored for so long time especially for a child is a form of torture.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DAVROS:

Yes, that’s the one. The absolute worst. It might have been the summer of ‘83.

It was a miserable hot humid horror. It was the first and only convention that I went a long distance to (out of state).. I was young and went with three older people one of which was a heavy person with health issues. We stayed in somebody’s rural vacation place and drove to the stadium. We tried to make the best of it but after two hot torturous days where we got absolutely nothing out if it - we woke up the Sunday morning and said we had enough!..I was secretly glad.

We headed home instead. What a waste of time and gas! The only thing we got out of the weekend was that we went out to eat in Pennsylvania dutch style restaurants.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

It will be thus this afternoon as we watch part 2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit