Watchtower says:You can be Disfellowshiped for being FAT!!!!!

by Witness 007 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Well, if that is true then 4 elders in my congregation would be disfellowshipped.

And several GB members, too!!!

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS says that you can be disfellowshipped for being a glutton.

Being fat does not equal being a glutton. I have known thin people who eat great amounts of food and throw it all up (bulimia). I have know people who eat three helpings at one time, and then go back for more without being fat.

Gluttony falls in the same category as drunkeness and both are hard to define.

***Gluttony is a mental attitude, one marked by greedy or excessive indulgence. Thus, it is determined, not by someone’s size, but by his attitude toward food.A person may be of normal size, or even be thin, and yet be a glutton. On the other hand, in some cases being overweight is the result of an ailment, or hereditary factors may contribute to obesity. A key issue is whether a person, whatever his or her weight, is excessively greedy as regards eating.—See “Questions From Readers” in the November 1, 2004, issue of TheWatchtower.

w089/15p.23Resist“theSpiritoftheWorld”

*** w04 11/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Although God’s Word places a drunkard on the same level as a glutton, the former is much easier to identify than the latter. The signs of drunkenness are usually quite visible. However, determining the point at which an individual becomes a confirmed glutton is much harder because it cannot be determined simply by outward appearance. Therefore, handling situations in this area of concern requires great care and discernment on the part of the elders in the congregation.

For example, obesity may be a sign of gluttony, but that is not always the case. One’s being overweight may be the result of an ailment. Hereditary factors may also contribute to obesity. We should also keep in mind that obesity is a physical condition, while gluttony is a mental attitude. Obesity is defined as “a condition characterized by excessive bodily fat,” whereas gluttony is “greedy or excessive indulgence.” Thus, gluttony is not determined by someone’s size but by his attitude toward food. A person may be of normal size or may even be thin and yet be a glutton. Furthermore, what is viewed as the ideal weight or shape varies considerably from place to place.

What are signs of gluttony? A glutton routinely shows a lack of restraint, even gorging himself on food to the point of feeling very uncomfortable or becoming sick. His lack of self-control indicates that he has no real concern about the reproach he brings upon Jehovah and the good reputation of His people. (1 Corinthians 10:31) On the other hand, a person who overeats on a few occasions would not automatically be viewed as a “greedy person.” (Ephesians 5:5) Nevertheless, in the spirit of Galatians 6:1, such a Christian might need help. Paul states: “Brothers, even though a man takes some false step before he is aware of it, you who have spiritual qualifications try to readjust such a man in a spirit of mildness.”

• rebel8
    rebel8

Seriously. I notice these things a lot. Is it just me?

It's just you. I mean, now that you say it, I used my imagination and see what you mean.

I was wondering if anyone remembers a jw get-together that did not involve gorging on massive amounts of high calorie food. It was the only thing to do! I remember as teens we got together and watched Gone With the Wind, a very tame movie, and we listened to music and danced after. Less than 10 of us, completely innocent, and we got in trouble.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

That 1974 article was titled "Is It Gluttony?" There was a joke running around the congregation about setting the table with clear glass plates and placing a copy of that magazine under each plate.

Even back then, being overweight or even obese was not incontrovertible evidence of gluttony. It was more about greedily sucking down more than your share while depriving others of their portions. Seriously, when does that ever happen in western countries?

A case could have been made against my father. My brother and his wife and my ex and I were visiting the folks one time, and we bought all the makings for pizza, which we planned to prepare the next day. When the time came to make the pizza we found about one inch of the pepperoni stick remaining in the fridge. We were all looking at each other when my father innocently piped up, "Oh, were you planning to use that?" He had eaten almost the whole foot-long stick of pepperoni during the night. I can't even imagine the spirited rebellion my stomach would have put up after an assault like that in the wee hours.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Gluttony is not a reason to disfellowship. I can go to a buffet and eat 9 pieces of pizza and dessert and not gain any inches or weight. I do that because I can. And if I couldn't do that then I wouldn't. Which goes to self control.

I think that gluttony has more to do with greed and wastefulness. (Sure it is wasteful for me to eat 9 pieces of pizza in one sitting as it comes out the other end the next day, but then so does any fiber)

But others can eat a little and gain weight and inches. But they gain weight and inches and don't stop.

You CAN'T GAIN WEIGHT BY BREATHING. Eating must be done. It is a matter of self control.

If you are at a filling station and the pump turns off when the tank is full, the pump stops and you stop pumping. Then burn it up and that empties the tank and when the tank is low you fill up again.

Humans don't have that mentality with their bodies. They fill it up, don't burn it up and then fill it up again.

It is not an issue of disfellowshipping but as the original post said: "because of his greedy ways they may SHUN HIM....he may incur Gods displeasure and LOSE HIS LIFE...in the near future God will bring lawdefying GLUTTONS TO AN END.."

Yeah, we shun fat people because they are fat. We don't need an official announcment of disfellowshipping for that. Human nature does that. And yes they will lose their lives because it is unhealthy.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I know a sister who is over 200 Kilograms {morbid Obese} she claims she has a "medical condition" even though she collects pizza coupons from others to get her $5.95 large pizza lunch.

She's fat because she is a friggin glutton! According to the Watchtower Elders should investigate Fatties in the Congregation and check how many Calories they eat each day.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Noni1974's mum got a reproof for being overweight:

(I don't think you can click on the link - you need to copy it)

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/199901/1/Can-you-get-Dfd-for-Gluttony

mmxiv

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

From the looks of the new GB-2 picture, those 8 men are in serious need of a stairmaster. In my town all 8 of them would be called FFA's (of course they are not all from America)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit