breaking up is hard to do

by fresh prince of ohio 23 Replies latest jw friends

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

background: I joined the JWs when I was 21, left about 11 years ago.

Up until recently, I had never been in a relationship that went longer than a few months. And that was just one.

I've been with my current for the past 3.5 years. She's, just, okay.

I've never felt like, oh, i love her so much. We've been together for a long time, so there is a bond, and at times I do feel affection for her. And I don't dislike her. (well in some ways i really do, but she has good qualities that i appreciate).

She has hardly any friends to speak of. Is financially hard up (i'm not, at all, the past few years have been pretty good to me). I feel like she's pinned all of her hopes and dreams in life on the success of our relationship. I do believe that she loves me, very much. But my feelings towards her have always been just lukewarm at best.

Things came to a head last weekend. We had previously discussed her moving in with me, and I told her I was okay with it, but i got cold feet. She left, haven't spoken with her since. I imagine she's spent the past few nights at home crying, crying, crying, crying, crying. She's like that; has a deep self-pitying streak.

I just don't want to hurt her. I really, really don't want to hurt her. An I'm not SURE that I really want to end things. I'm a lonely guy, not many friends either, and it is very rare that I make connections with women. And she might just be the best that I can expect. And I don't want to be alone.

Sad situation. I feel like she would be completely destroyed if i ended the relationship.

• dazed but not confused
  • fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

lol, thank you actual advice mallard

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

Sorry to say, you have already hurt her.

You need to be honest so she can move on - if you pretend to love her when you dont, you are stopping her from moving on and having a relationship with someone who loves her back equally, not just sticking around because he's scared to be alone.

Be kind but honest. Apologise for leading her on for so long. Id cry all night too if i wasted 3.5 years on a guy who didnt love me back - unrequited love SUCKS. It is not self pitying to be upset about that!

Please dont jump into another relationship too soon - sounds like you might be better single for a while. You sound like you're just as needy as you say she is -concentrate on developing FRIENDSHIPS first, if you can maintain a few of them for a while, then you might just be able to have a healthy romantic relationship.

Wishing you and her all the best

Sky

• moshe
    moshe

I was in a relationship like that for a couple years-- I knew after six months I wasn't going to marry her- I tried to wean her off off me, but she knew my weaknesses and always managed to get back in the picture. -- she never stayed away more than a couple months, I suppose she would rather have a sure date, dinner, movie, dancing and she had bedroom needs to be satisfied.. I am glad she finally found an engineer who transfered to her plant-- and he married her. I hope he bought her the cape cod style house with the fireplace and white picket fence she talked about.

Women have a shopping list- it's up to a man to find out what is on that list.

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

drink the alcohol AFTER you break up with your GF, she at least deserves the respect of a sober discussion!

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

This always got me into trouble...

I am actually 2 years, 4 months and 8 days sober... I miss my old friend Jack and Jim from time to time...

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

she at least deserves the respect of a sober discussion!

Not as much fun, but true...

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

removed post - thought better of it

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Why on earth would you stay with her so long if you don't love her?

Why on earth would you not break up with her NOW? Let her go now!

She left, haven't spoken with her since. I imagine she's spent the past few nights at home crying, crying, crying, crying, crying. She's like that; has a deep self-pitying streak.

give me a break! You've been leading her on for YEARS. You say she really loves you. Of course she is crying. You took 3 1/2 years of her life that she can't get back...

I just don't want to hurt her. I really, really don't want to hurt her.

Too late! Stop leading her on. The more you lead her on, the more you hurt her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit