How Do You Deal With Telemarketers?

by Outaservice 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

Every teletmarketer that calls my house hears exactly the same thing:

"I do not buy products or services from companies that make unsolictited calls to my home. CLICK"

One time before I started this routine (about ten years ago) I got a call from a woman selling long distance service. I tried to tell her I wasn't interested and she jumped in and said she could save me thirty per cent.

I said, "Well that thirty per cent is the reward I pay your competition for not pissing me off by calling during dinner" and hung up.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

For the pushy people, I just bring the phone to the toilet and flush.

For polite telemarketers, I just say, 'no thanks, have a good nite.' and don't wait for their response.

always works for me.

plus, i have caller id and don't pickup anyway.

ashi

• rhett
    rhett

This is taken from my own website and I came up with them all on my own.

When You Don't Feel Like Tormenting Them Must Anyways
    Don't say anything, just lay the phone down and walk away letting them go through their spiel. I imagine this one must be fairly annoying to them. This works with all types of telemarketers.

Bark at them. Repeatedly. I've actually gotten telemarketers to bark back before.

For ones that start out by saying that they would like to tell or inform you of something, tell them thanks for letting you know and hang up.

When You Have Some Time To Kill and Feel Like Having Some Fun
    This is one that I've done many many times and never get tired of their reactions. It will by default only work with people wanting you to switch your phone service. When they start to go into their bit to get you to switch to their service tell them you don't have a phone. Obviously this is a lie because you are talking on the phone. Say it and everything after as calmly as posible, much in the same way you say the sky is blue. They will try to argue with you. When they ask if you are the owner of this phone number answer them by asking why would you need a phone number if you don't have a phone. When they ask how you are talking to them say you don't know since they are the ones that contacted you and you don't have a phone. One guy said that he hit the buttons on his phone and then "these voices start coming out of it." He didn't like it when I asked him if he hears voices often and politely suggested he talk to someone for it. Another important thing with this one is to not hang up on them no matter what. I've had them put me on hold thinking I would hang up. Most telemarketers are told to never hang up on a customer. That way, do you not only get to bug them, you get them in trouble with their bosses. The best time I ever used this one I had the guy on the phone for almost half an hour. I would repeatedly argue with him that I don't have a phone and he would put me on hold thinking I would hang up. He was wrong. I was having fun with him. Why would I hang up?

Some companies will call and say that their records show that you have been preapproved for whatever it is that they're selling. Tell them you checked their records and you haven't been preapproved. Whine that you really do wish that you were approved because you want what they're selling quite badly but hey, the records say what they say and you can't argue with them. If you have a keyboard handy make some typing sounds and tell them that you're checking right then. Suggest that the telemarketer must have an old copy of the records and they should get today's version. Especially fun if they aren't very computer literate.

When credit card companies call tell them that you don't believe in money and only barter with farm animals. After telling one lady that she tried to convince me that I needed their credit card anyways by talking about how you can pay over the internet (oooooo, wow, the Internet!). She didn't stay on the line much longer when I asked exactly how I would send a sheep over the phone to my ISP.

Act very interested in what they are trying to sell you. Tell them that you've got someone on the other line and that you need to end the other conversation before you can talk about their wondrous offer. Don't have someone on the other line or like me and not even have call waiting? That doesn't matter. Just make some beeping sound (hitting one of the number keys works) and act like you're talking to your friend on the other line. Tell "your friend" that you've "got another one of those idiot telemarketers on the other line. This one really sounds like a bigger idiot than the rest of them" and that you've got to let them go so you can go and really have some fun with them. Telemarketers don't like it when you do that. Its almost as annoying as someone calling you at home at an inconvenient time trying to sell you stuff.

Back down the bullies to the back of the bus
    Its time for them to be scared of us

• alamb
    alamb

I do a little the same as Vi

I just say, I have to run but could I have their home phone number so I can call them back later. They say, "I don't do business from my home." I say, "Neither do I." Period.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Or the ultimate conversation stopper....just witness to them practice your talk on them try and entice them into having a bible study offer them a WT subscription invite them to the meeting get your 5 yr old to practice their presentation on them offer to do your bible reading with them share the days text with them keep the conversation going for as long as you can...don't forget to count the time....then...hang up.

Beck

• Simon
    Simon

I just say "Sorry, no, I'm not interested"

If they then carry on they get "I said No, ok?"

If they still don't get the hint I just hang-up or leave the phone on the side until they get the message.

• rebelledat12
    rebelledat12

"Any telemarketer pulling this shit nowadays would be in big trouble"

You would be surprised at what you can get away with, there is no way to trace a call to a particular representative, and to be honest, no one cares about the people who are going to say no anyway. There's always the chance that quality assurance may be looking, but there's a ratio of about 1 QA to 115 Reps where I worked. Plus, most of them were just recently promoted reps anyway. People do this ALL the time, my friend works at a "telephone factory" right now. It's a huge party atmosphere.
    The best thing to do is consistantly and kindly ask to be taken off the calling list and get the address for the place in NY and send a letter. It might take some time, but it's the only way to really get rid of telemarketers.
    It's also good to know the privacy policy of companies that you do business with, for example, your phone company or credit card company may sell lists of their customers.

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

First sport a fancy accent, then tell them you are the homeowner's Nanny and then make up some story about an exotic trip the homeowners went on and go on and on about the details...like what a good time they must be haveing and all the work you're left to do, etc. Just don't give them a chance to talk..they'll eventually hang up! Works almost every time!

• butalbee
    butalbee

Usually I hang up on them.

• target
    target

I tell them my husband has just left me and I have six kids and I don't know how I am going to pay the bills and he has run us so far into debt and then I start crying and ask if I can borrow some money

Target

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit