How Do You Deal With Telemarketers?

by Outaservice 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

JW's at your door are a nuisance, but so are telemarketers on the phone. How do you deal with them?

I sometimes say, "I'm very interested in what you have to say, but excuse me for just a minute, I have to go to the bathroom."

They always hang up right away!

Outaservice

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

Try, "I'm unemployed, and can't buy anything!" Or you could ask the telemarketer for his/her home phone number, because it's an inconvenient time for you right now. When he/she says that he can't give it out, then you tell him that you want to return his call at a time that it is inconvenient for him/her.

Or just get caller ID on your phone and don't answer if a business name pops up. That's what I do or if an "out of area" is displayed. I figure, if someone needs to leave a message and it's really that important, that's why we have voice mail!

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I usually say:

"so what are you wearing?"
    "what colour are your panties (for girls) jocks (for boys)?"
    "do you like to be spanked?"

...and then I ask them for their credit card details...all I get is 'dial tone'

Beck

• Amazing
    Amazing

When I first started in real estate I engaged in 'cold-calling'. I simply asked people if they were thinking of buying or selling their property in the near future. If they said no, I thanked them and ended the call. If they disclose that they are thinking about buying or selling a home, I set an appointment at my office to meet with them, and never seek any information or transaction over the phone.

I don't like cold-calling, and most telemarketers don't like it either. They do it because the law of large numbers always works ... if you make 1,000 calls, a certain percentage will always do business. The rest who are rude, nasty, etc. forget about me once they hang up in a huff.

How do I handle them when I get called?

I am polite, and simply request that they mail information to me. I tell them that I never conduct business over the phone, and never give out financial information. If they try to overcome the objection, I tell them that there are too many phone scams and my policy is not to take the risk. I go so far as to tell them that I have engaged in cold-calling, and understand their frustration, but I only respond to written information. If they continue, I tell them that I am ending the call and hang up. The longest I ever take with this is 30 seconds.

Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live - or demand others to live - by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible. The Watchtower, 4-15-02, pg 22, pp 15

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

i don't answer my phone if i don't recognize the number

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

I like to let them complete their five minute speel, then the hard sell....gives them hope then...sound interested, hmmm appreciatively every 10 seconds, the occassional gasp, 'how ingenius' I say....and then when they're absolutely, concrete sure they've got a sale.....tell them I'll have to think about it and could they give me their home phone number and I'll call them when I've made a decision.

They say, sorry, can't give out that information. I say 'oh you don't like unwanted phone calls huh?....Yeah......Stop fucking ringing ME then.

Nah, I could neva be that rude!!!!!!!!!

Mad Cow signing off!

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

I don't answer any of there questions and tell them I'm not interested and hang up.

Join the Watchtower or you will die.
    Only Jehovah's Witnesses have the TRUTH all other religions EVIL and from the Devil.
    You must beleive the Watchtower or you're going to die a painful death forever, isn't that really GOOD NEWS?
  • rebelledat12
    rebelledat12

Tell them to put you on their "do-not-call" list and/or ask for the address in NY to write to be taken off ALL lists.
    whatever you do, if you seriously don't want to be called again, don't piss the telemarketer off.
    I used to do it for a couple of years and if someone did any of the above stuff, i'd reschedule them for daily callbacks.
    It might make you feel better, but you'll end up paying for it... trust me.
    :)

• Solace
    Solace

I tell them we are too busy,
    then I ask them for their home telephone number and tell them I will call them back tonight while they are spending time with their family.

• julien
    julien
    and if someone did any of the above stuff, i'd reschedule them for daily callbacks.
    It might make you feel better, but you'll end up paying for it... trust me.

Any telemarketer pulling this shit nowadays would be in big trouble.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit