Problems with the "Bogus AWAA Fan Page"..

by OUTLAW 447 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cedars
    cedars

Juan - thanks so much for taking the time to summarize all this for us.

Cedars

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

"At that point Bo had to make a decision about what to do with our Facebook page and we all agreed to let him just go ahead and make it "open to all."

WTF??? So it was nog the bogus page that got all these unknowing members? It was the "real" one? And you made it "open to all"? This sounds really strange.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Thinking all of this through ahead of time might have been prudent.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I read an article the other day about two young gay people who hadn't let their fathers know about their sexual orientation. They joined a local choir specifically for gays and unbeknownst to them were added to the choir's FB group page. The setting was 'open'. This means anyone joining the group can be seen on it and all the postings on that group page can be seen by all. Their fathers saw it and went ballistic over it. They haven't spoken to them since. It completely broke their relationships with their fathers. These youngsters should have been able to choose thier own time and place for their fathers to find out. As it was the FB settings did it for them. If the group had been set as a 'secret group' no one outside the group could have seen it. Also no one is informed or requested if they'd like to join, anyone can choose to add someone else (whether they like it or not). It seems to be a privacy invasion that not many people know about and there's not much you can do if someone decides to add you to a group. You can leave the group but by then the damage may already be done.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

I'm sorry to say, Cedars, but this doesn't make sence:

"Bo expressed this because he thought people were joining of their own volition rather than being added against their will. The fact that Bo and other members were added to it and thought it was harmless to begin with does not make it legit. We weren't aware of the group owner's activities in randomly joining members until it was too late."

If Bo and other people from the AAWA-board were added to the "bogus" group, why did they not react at first? It was an AWAA-group started by people outside the AAWA. And why did they think it was harmless? They must have seen it was an open group.

OK OK, maybe it's easy to be a bit overenthusiastic, but...this doesn't make sence to me. I don't think you are that naive.

• quincy_aka_quentin
    quincy_aka_quentin

I HATE facebook, there truly is on privacy....but, I don't expect to be included in anything...seceret or otherwise....

• cedars
    cedars

Dismissing Servant

If Bo and other people from the AAWA-board were added to the "bogus" group, why did they not react at first? It was an AWAA-group started by people outside the AAWA. And why did they think it was harmless? They must have seen it was an open group.

OK OK, maybe it's easy to be a bit overenthusiastic, but...this doesn't make sence to me. I don't think you are that naive.

You are forgetting that it all happened within a relatively short time frame. In the initial euphoria and wave of interest there was little time to observe something sinister unfolding. The assumption is always that people will respect basic principles of privacy, so rather than thinking the worst of people we just assumed everything was above board. In any case, AAWA has apologized for any and all negligence on our part, so we are hoping that those affected can forgive us so that we can move on with building our organization.

Cedars

• mind blown
    mind blown

I'll try to make it easier to understand (if I'm correct). There were three fatal issues they had to contend with:

Juan stated:

1. " Yes, there were some referrals by our own advisors and volunteers, but there were only about 50 in that category",

and

2. I spoke to the one person who has a rather large group of followers on his own website and Facebook pages who clearly got overly excited and began auto referring all of the members on his site to ours.

and

3. "over the weekend it was brought to our attention that another website had also placed our header and logo in their featured/header image slot. Someone wrote me and asked if we had joined forces with this other site? " (note: someone with their own anti cult FB page, group, or other web site, which i'm still not clear and doesn't matter, who stoled AAWAs logo to use for their own use)

Another huge mistake was not explaining sooner with an offical apology. There may have been less confusion, angst, speculations, assumptions, etc., but at the same time there would those who still wouldn't understand (herding cats)......but I'm pretty sure it would have been understood and appreciated by the majority.

Thank you Juan for stepping up to the plate with a full/clear explination and apology.You may want to consider being their PR rep, they're going to need one. I do wish you and yours the best.

• jgnat
    jgnat

EP, I can't imagine what the AAWA leadership team could have done to prepare other than "all hands on deck" on launch day.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Juan, could you confirm for me that if a person is "referred" to a group, that it shows up on their timeline even if they don't accept? Does it show up if they remove themselves?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit