How long did Jesus shun Peter for denying him 3 times?

by Terry 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sd-7
    sd-7
    Why is there no Reclamation Work specifically dedicated to reaching out to former members for the sake of preserving them?

Whaddya mean there's no Reclamation Work? Elders come up to me once every year, conveniently around September, the start of the new 'service [*cough* fiscal *cough] year', to see if I want to 'repent' of the 'sin' of disagreeing with the Society's teachings.

What? You mean that's...not what you meant. You know, they didn't bother opening the Bible and reading scriptures to me even when they visited my home. They didn't pray with me or for me, that I know of. One would think that's what you should do in such a situation. All they did was tell me there was nothing out there, as if to satisfy themselves (not me) that there was nothing else out there beyond the organization, try to guilt me about not attending meetings with my family (as if I would continue supporting something we spent hours clearly hashing out that I didn't believe in anymore, isn't that the reason you expelled me??), and give me a trite line about returning to the org.

But yeah, this is totally different. I mean, I always knew that Jesus, if he came to a Kingdom Hall, would be DF'd. The reason? He'd refuse to shave his beard and question why anyone would require it!

-sd-7

• irondork
    irondork

bookmarked

• TD
    TD

LOL - If you take the story at face value, did Peter even have a choice?

I know - Another discussion entirely....

• humbled
    humbled

What a clear distinction between Jesus dealing with us and the way the cold-hearted Corp treats us. They truely are the evil slave.

• Terry
    Terry

I have (actually: had) a close and dear friend who is STILL a JW going on 50+ years who

would shut idiot Elders up when they annoyed him by challenging them: "Show me where Jesus did that (said that)(taught that)!"

If they countered with "The Society says it..." he would say "Aren't you a Christian? Where did Christ teach that?"

He has gotten away with it all these years. In fact, I think they are afraid of him. He's 6 feet 3 inches and 300 lbs. and just

looks them in the eye and challenges them face to face.

He'd make a great Apostate if only ....if only.........

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Terry,

From my perspective, this is one your better posts. It resonated with me. Just reading the title, I formed tears. The contrast between Jesus/Christ and the WTBTS is so stark. Sadly, I was born-in and never realized how inclusive and forgiving Jesus was. The good news is that I appreciate the Christ approach more than my fellow church-goers because of my Witness background. Once I told another church member, I wish you could understand how much I appreciate church membership and your role as a fellow parishoner. I could never explain it so they would understand.

• Terry
    Terry

The more you think about it the more obvious it becomes that the cult aspect of the Watchtower Society really revolves-NOT-around christianity but

around the Jewish tribal god Jehovah.

There really is hardly any room for the Jesus who treated people tenderly. JW's prefer the Jesus who drove the moneychangers out of the temple and called the Pharisees names.

Negativity hangs like a cartoon cloud above the head of these people and it isn't much fun to be around them.

Forgiveness is a leveraged buy-out for the Dubs and has little to do with loving concern for their fellow man.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Being an Elder is about identifying the enemy and putting your foot up their ass.

Being a Christian is about compassion and unity and putting your arm around the stray sheep.

That says it all.

JWs shoot their wounded.

Doc

• Watchtower-Free
  • Terry
    Terry

Who ya gonna call when you need help? Will it be an ambulance of paramedics or the bouncer at the local bar?

That's the reality of the the choice involved!

If the purpose of Jesus' sacrifice was to SAVE PEOPLE how can the elders be so anxious to crush that with their jackbooted purification pograms?

They are more interested in being bouncers at the Watchtower nightclub than in being a hospital to the suffering humanity cleansed of condemnation by the blood and body of Christ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit