What should replace religion ?

by Finkelstein 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

What should replace religion? Something very few JWs understand. A true faith in Jesus Christ. Faith in Jesus is not religion. Belief in God is not religion. Very few that have left JWs even have experience in what a real realtionship with Jesus is like, though many will not admit it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Oh Christ.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I thought you didn't believe in Christ, Phizzy?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Humanism, yeah. Common sense, yeah. Likely? No.

• Open mind
    Open mind

I'm with OUTLAW.

om

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

As I understand it he is not talking of the beliefs of the religion, but of the cultural/social aspects of it. Religion has played a huge cultural and social role in our societies during history. It has created a lot of traditions as well.

I think Daniel Dennets point is to discuss how to create a secular culture with secular traditions that have a social function, in the same way that religious ones had before.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

There is an urgent need to bring an end to religion though, as I write various followers of whatever their version of god is are murdering eachother, if they are not going that far, they are spewing out hate against the "unbeliever".

Christopher Hitchens had a great slogan "Religion poisons everything" , which applies to not just organised religion, but to personal belief too, believing something to be true that is not is a delusional state, deluded people are not fit to lead in any way, especially in matters of thought.

Secular humanists seek only to expunge the parts of religion that are wrong, but that doesn't leave much over, if anything.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Yes, but in order to do that secularism has to offer something in cultural/social aspect. I'm now talking about mainstream religion that have huge social and cultural impact in our societies. This is not about beliefs..not at all. I wonder how many in this thread that have actually watched/listened to that Dennet video.

• cobaltcupcake
  • Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Sorry Cupcake...I agree with outlaw, I prefere chicken and beer!

But it would be interesting if there are more people here that listened to Dennet...I think he has some important points.

OK OK! Chocolate cake after the chicken!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit