Finkelstein

Well said Cantleave

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

What should replace religion?

........................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ... OUTLAW

• *lost*
    *lost*

Finklestine bang on, love that ....... SECULAR HUMANITARIANISM. That's gonna be the new name of the new religion.

sounds a bit like the Reiligion Jesus was talking about.

Cantleave great comment. Better education for all.

Data-dog great comment. So true.

Too-tired-tocare .......... in all fairness, what would you suggest as a viable answer to rid mankind of wickedness (real wickedness) ???

Murderers, rapists, thieves, abusers, kiddy fiddlers, etc ... the list goes on. Prisons are over-flowing. Crime is over-flowing. What would you do with them all. Just curious?

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Too-tired-tocare .......... in all fairness, what would you suggest as a viable answer to rid mankind of wickedness (real wickedness) ???

Murderers, rapists, thieves, abusers, kiddy fiddlers, etc ... the list goes on. Prisons are over-flowing. Crime is over-flowing. What would you do with them all. Just curious?

Although there is some real sick whackos out there, statistics plainly show that crime rates have come way down in recent decades, so I don't think your description of "over-flowing" crime is entirely accurate, perhaps evolution of thought, less poverty, or less testosterone has helped.

The short answer to your question is I don't think it's ever possible to completely remove all evil as long people have freewill. I do however think there is much we can do to mitigate it by things like CantLeave mentioned, and break throughs in science that would eliminate much of the disparity between people (which is often the root of crime) like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzgVWpa4fzU

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What should replace religion ?

The best answer to that question might be knowledge and the spreading of that acquired knowledge throughout humanity.

Knowledge of are selfs and of the world of which we exist, within the context humanity can strive to achieve a better life experience

for all mankind today as well into the future.

• *lost*
    *lost*

TTtoCare

I'm not nit-picking or wanting to argue, make myself clear on that. I am just interested in hearing other peoples points of view on things. Helps me learn and gain perspective.

So, basically, if God sent his Son Jesus to tell us, look, this how you should live. this is the right way to do it, God hasn't gone away but he is pretty powerless at the moment to do anything. because he has to do everything by the book, perfectly, legally, as he is a Judge and caretaker of mankind. He is also dealing with a lot of things himself at the moment, he is on trial you see. And this legal battle has been dragging on for a few years, as they do. (few thousand years in this case)

But he is fighting this legal battle through the courts of justice fo His people, it is a very costly legal battle. ( as any of us know who have dealed with similar and know the mental, emotional effects of such) He has had to stand by and watch many of His people suffer and die at the hands dictators and wicked men.

he promises all the good people that they will recieve compensation and justice and truth in the end. They will all be given back what they lost and more, such is his love and generousity. He assures them, never again will it happen, he will fix everything. He will REMOVE all the wickedness, badness and evil people in the world.

Well if all that were true - then I would be inclined to say, way to go.... look forward to that day.

There are people in this world who do vile and disgusting things and cause much pain and suffering to others. WHY SHOULD THEY NOT GET PUNISHED ?

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

@*lost* - I'm not nit-picking or wanting to argue, make myself clear on that. I am just interested in hearing other peoples points of view on things. Helps me learn and gain perspective.

I can respect that. Have you given much thought to how the bible defines what "good" is? I'm sure most would agree on: be good to your neigbor, don't murder, molest, lie, cheat and steal etc; but according to bibles logic if you don't put god first in your life, and perhaps disagree with him, or don't really bother to get to know him, the bible classifies you as evil. For this unspeakable evil , you receive the same punishment of non-existence as serial killers and rapists. Do you not find that highly controlling gun-to-your-head stance offensive, given that you're supposed to have free will? If so why?

• *lost*
    *lost*

TTtoCare - thanks, much appreciate.

What about this. What if the message of GOOD, got a bit twisted. By what standard to we judge/measure 'good'. Who has the say? Who makes the rules, the laws,controls society?. So by what standard do we say what is bad, how bad ?

Now we have come so far, thousands of years from ancient times - and things are so much different know. It wuold be classed as alien to them i think if we plopped them down into the world today.

Knowing what we know about history, religion, cultures, societies, etc... and knowing man can do the awful things. He is pretty much capable of anything, i think this is plain to see. i mean what else could possibly shock us in life, haven't we seen it all by this stage in the game. We now expect bad things to happen. jw aside, in the world we have to. we have to be on our gaurd. We have to watch out for danger in some form. The same as our ancestors had to.

SO WHAT REALLY has changed on the scale of things ? do understand the angle I'm coming from. what are your thoughts.

Anyone else got some thoughts on this and want to help out ?

So really nothing changes ? Just the scenerary, amenities, languages, technology, science, education, standard of living ... etc.

It's the same system, different players in the game.

As for your point - what defines good. Yes.

So if we have that little basic list, rule book and definition of what constitutes good. This is what you must not do, these things are bad. It's very basic and simple isn't it.

So therefore isn't it really just that simple.

Like: this is my list, follow what's on the list and you'll be alright, you'll be good. If you break the law, well... that will have to be dealt with accordingly.

So, if someone chooses not to follow what's on the list, and be good, they want to do the things that are on the banned list. They desire these things, the bad things, the things which are forbidden to do, and the reasons why they are forbidden. We have rules and laws in society today and we have to follow them.

If we do the things that are on you bad list up there, murder, rape etc... then we are choosing to be bad. We are breaking the law. We have to be dealt with accordingly.

what you think ?

thanks

• never a jw
    never a jw

truth

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Humanism.

"Humanism is the concern to draw the best from, and make the best of, human life in the span of a human lifetime, in the real world, and in sensible accord with the facts of humanity as these are shaped and constrained by the world" A. C Grayling in "The God Argument", he goes on :

"The key point about Humanism is that it is an attitude to Ethics based on observation and the responsible use of reason, both together informing our conversation about human realities, seeking the best and most constructive way of living in accordance with them ".

The sooner the toxic influence of religion is replaced by humanism as thus defined the better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit