"You don't get a second chance to make a first impression" AAWA

by yesidid 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• yesidid
    yesidid

The first impression one has of any group or organization is its name. That is my problem with "THE NAME'.

Active, or even questioning Witnesses will undoubtedly be alarmed by the connotation of name. It will stop many from going any further, from benefitting from all your hard work.

WHY TAKE THIS RISK???????? Why have 50% of an audience when you could have 100%. You and all the other volunteers will be working so hard, be fair to yourselves and your volunteers, harvest your maximum audience.

As an aside, to say marketing is not important is illogical. We all market ourselves and our ideas every day. Paul’s site name JWFacts is brilliant marketing. Simon shows he understands marketing by the name of this forum. Why didn’t Barbra Anderson call her site antiwatchtowerdocuments.com, after all the documents she presents are all anti Watchtower. No watchtowerdocuments.com is very good marketing.

And yes, I ran a business for many years and went to many marketing seminars.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Geez people give it a rest. Nobody's making you join something, nobody's making you give money, nobody's asking you to believe anything. If you don't like, go find something useful to do with you life.

• yesidid
    yesidid

Hi Jeff, Thanks for your comment.

Just wanted to let you know that the reason I am pushing the point is because I think the concept is great, I have great admiration for the people involved and want the very best for the whole project. And I sure want them to have every success in their endeavours.

I am just concerned that the name may thwart their objectives.

Thanks again for your comment.

• JeffT
    JeffT

That horse has left the barn, unless maybe all the people gripping about the name want to spring for whatever it would cost them to change the name of the corporation they formed. Had anybody asked I might have suggested a different name myself. But they didn't ask and I volunteered to help them because I agree with what they're doing.

• smiddy
    smiddy

And with over 16000 hits so far I think it has great support , i just hope it meets our expectations.Kudos to the board

smiddy

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

"you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink"

• gone for good
    gone for good

Modern 'Marketing' is the multi-billion dollar business of decieving people.

It's sole purpose is to increase profits.

The Watchtower 'markets' religion.

Consumer advocacy informs about the true worth of the product- exposing its flaws

and recommending improvements or alternatives

• steve2
    steve2

As recently as one year ago, I too would have negatively reacted at the name Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists concerned it would scare off the very people who could benefit from its work. However, I've changed my view. Jws who are disturbed by what's going on inside their organization do not need to be molly-coddled - they need and deserve straight-up answers that lezve no room for doubt. Besides, Jws are already extremely suspicious of deceptive groups who try and win them over. Perhzps too they will even secretly admire a group that even as its name says, are overtly against the stipulated Watchtower policies.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree Steve, and of course the name is not a once for all time thing, many organizations,including charities, change their name for various reasons, if it is perceived that there is more to be gained than lost by doing so.

In this case I think that the kind of JW who will come across AAWA is not the truly messing their pants type, lets face it, they are already surfing the Net in defiance of the GB, they do have some balls, so "Anti", though perhaps ringing a faint warning bell, is honest and open, which engenders trust from the start, I think any JW that is capable of being helped will read the mission statement and then be O.K

Perhaps after the passing of time it may be possible to assess if some are put off by the name, difficult to judge I would have thought, but I have a lingering suspicion that that type of JW would not be helped anyway, they are simply not ready.

• Room 215
    Room 215

yesidid, your point is well-taken, however it's moot; the project is underway and in my view much better to have it up and running rather than stuck in development, stagnating on the drawing board... a victim of "paralysis by analysis"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit