JW Rules That Are Just "Too Much"!

by Ephanyminitas 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• termite 35
    termite 35

God;I think i'm catching dyslexia from this bloody place.FAVOURITE,there,I did it!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas

Termite, good for you! I'm glad you proved how "spiritually weak" you were!

Fire Dragon, just a note that I'd recommend against a tattoo. That seems just like the type of thing you'll regret later. Suppose, just for kicks, you decide to become a Witness again! You'll always have that reminder of "the time you lost your mind" (by "lost your mind," I mean that you went into the world, not got the tattoo).

Star, "Tom & Jerry" is a stretch, but I can kind of see the point. It's not unlike _The Simpsons's_ "Itchy & Scratchy_ -- constant, constant violence. Still, it's a stretch. And let's not forget about crossdressin', Elmer-kissin' Bugs! ;-)

• SumnerSloan
    SumnerSloan

Can a newby add their two cents?? No. 1 to me is child baptism (i.e., pressuring our kids to get baptized while they’re still young and immature because “they are accountable to God even if they don’t)! Shunning – and in particular the hoops people must jump through to get back. And birthdays (not that I’m interested in being reminded these days!). And I think sisters draw more attention to themselves tromping around in the freezing cold and snow in their bare legs than they would wearing pants!!

College these days isn’t really an issue any more. Most the young people and many older ones too are going to college these days – at least in my area. Even elders’ kids. As much as I hate to date myself, two of mine are currently in college with no negative vibes. And correct me if I’m wrong, but I didn’t think the oral sex issue existed anymore either. SS

• Fire Dragon
    Fire Dragon

Hey SumnerSloan,
    I'm a newbie myself and I've been adding my two cents since 4-1-02 and it feels good to finally vent to those who understand. Welcome to the forum!

The oral sex thing is still an issue. They had it as a local needs part in my old congregation not too long ago.

Ephan, I am NOT going to be a witness again....no promises on the tattoo.

The JWs think these harmless cartoons are bad...can you imagine the horror they'd have if they saw games like Super Smash Brothers (N64). 'Oh the killing and the violence!' And God forbid you play anything with Bowser in it....'a dragon! Satan is the dragon! Get that out of our house!' Can you imagine the coronaries if they saw Quake? :-)

"...if there is a hell, I'll see you there." (NIN - Downward Spiral)
    I'll be the one providing the fire.

• animal
    animal

1. I had to wear straight-legged pants when bell bottoms were the rage.This was so we stood out as being different.

2. I had to have VERY short hair. This was so we stood out as being different.

3. We had to eat everthing on our plates... everything... and sweet mom would make foods we didnt like over and over, so we would "get used to them and learn to like them".

4. We had to sit in the 2nd row at the KH.... all the good people satup front. Fall asleep and get slapped on the back of the head during the meeting.

5. Being forced to give talks, from 9 yrs old on... or being in the little skits they did.

6. Not being able to bang the hell outta any of the girls in the KH

(#6 was sort of a joke)

I could go on....

Animal

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas

Quote the Dragon of Fire:

The JWs think these harmless cartoons are bad...can you imagine the horror they'd have if they saw games like Super Smash Brothers (N64). 'Oh the killing and the violence!' And God forbid you play anything with Bowser in it....'a dragon! Satan is the dragon! Get that out of our house!'
    Oh, yeah! That's rich! And Super Smash Bros. Melee has a freakin' huge character named Giga Bowser. Imagine Bowser of super-steroids! This dude would easily get the game thrown out. Not to mention Zelda and her magical powers. ("Magic?! In MY house?! Get it out!") And let's not forget the demonized Pokemon! ("Pika?" "Ji-i-igglypu-u-uf.")

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas
    God;I think i'm catching dyslexia from this bloody place.FAVOURITE,there,I did it!!!!!!!!!!!

Termite,

In case you didn't know, if you catch a typo after posting a message, you can click the little Edit icon to change your post. It can be a lifesaver!

• Xandria
    Xandria

Hummm...

I remember my mom freaking out over my (non JW) dad allowing me to watch GODZILLA movies as a child. She said that Godzilla was a dragon thus SATAN. Dad would make me laugh w/ those movie. He would start talking like the Japanese Men.. w/ the mouth moving.

No Smurfs, No HE~man or SHE~Ra cartoons, no slumber parties w/ wordly kids, no dances, no b/f's, * unless of course it was to go to a chaperoned skate party w/ dub's only. etc, etc the list goes on and on...

She would allow me to listen to the radio though. An I remember turning on low when Dr.Ruth came on... until I got caught. Hey it was the first time I heard the word vibrator. An found out what it was... :O

So I was very confused on what was acceptable and what was not.

• Mackin
    Mackin

I agree with everything that has been said so far, the list of excessive rules is soooooo long.

The thing that tipped me over the edge however was the "Medical Directive" that gives another person Enduring Power of Attorney over you for the rest of your life! And it can't be orally revoked by you even if you want to.

I saw this as the Borg removing every last vestige of personal freedom from me. I refused to sign it or use it. Not long after I stopped attending meetings.

• wholewheat
    wholewheat

When someone dedicates their life to Jehovah, they make the choice to serve Him and uphold His standards. There are no "rules" as you describe them, just guidelines for clean living for a Christian to live by.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit