JW Rules That Are Just "Too Much"!

by Ephanyminitas 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas

I'm curious: what rules have you dealt with that were just "too much" -- whether they were "official" (i.e. in print) or not?

I think a good, general one is R-rated movies. Though to be honest, I'm half-expecting them to make a comment about PG-13 movies, the way they get away with so much in them.

In another thread, a poster (sorry, I don't have your name right now) provided the following too: not having anything to do with Pokemon (LOL!), not going to college, and not being a cheerleader in school.

Also, I think that their stringent policies about oral sex are ludicrous. What a husband and wife do in their own bedroom is their own business. The WTBTS really tries to cram itself into every aspect of life, doesn't it?

What else have you got?

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

the whole good/bad association thing always got me. so just cuz your a jw makes ya a good person? ya right *rolls eyes*

God never listens to what I say
    And you don't get a refund
    If you overpray~~Lifeboy, Phish

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Personally, the rules of just being a dub...

Going out in service at least 10 hours a month

Going to three meetings a week

No worldly friends

No "Brownies" or Girl Scouts

No holidays...even a birthday, which is just a way to say you are happy that person was born

No after school activities

Shunning

Having to give answers in the KH

No blood

There are so many, I will let someone else post.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Being DF'd for smoking or gambling. Not that i am a smoker or promote it, but just cuz someone smokes something that is perfectly legal dosn't mean they are bad association. Gambling can be harmless entertainment if not obsessed about it.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Well, since I was a *true believer* I agreed and felt spiritually superior because of our rules. I did see occasional R-rated movies, but only because I felt I could handle them. Ha, handling an R-rated movie. That takes me back! Only an Ex-Dub can appreciate my finding humor in that.

I would agree with most of Puff's list now, but the one thing that made me feel that I was suffering was putting up with those excruciatingly boring, boring, boring meetings. The content was usually so poor I felt I was just there to show loyalty. To sit and suffer through somebody's ministry school training was unnecessary and painful to me. Why didn't they tack on an extra 10 minutes to the book study to show how to sell the latest Watchtower and Awake and cancel one night of painful *&^% zombie-inducing night of meetings. Most of the Sunday talks were ill prepared and I would just read my Bible while some inept speaker would stumble through his coma-inducing talk. Glad I don't have to go through that anymore. Such a contrast to what churches I've attended do.

• seedy3
    seedy3

The two most DANGERIOUS rules I can think of is the shunning and the blood issue.

The shunning is given to a person at a time when they areoften at their lowest pointin life, I have seen so many people that were depressed at the time of their DF'ing or became depressed due to it. These one often need the support of their friends and family, but are hencforth cut off from among them, it is as stupid a rule and can be.

The Blood issue, even the WTS has admitted that many of the JW's have sacrificed their lives over the blood rule. How stupid to have a rule so binding that it has caused the deaths of hundreds perhaps thousands around the world. When the Jews commited a sin against this law at a time of extream life threatening situations they were not cut off they were forgiven. This rule is the most dangerious of all in my opnion.

Oh Too much type of rules OHHHH LOL???!!! he he.
    I would have to say the college, and bedroom activities, they make themselves sound like middle ages Catholic church prests. during the middle ages Euorpe,if you were found out to have sex in any other position then the missionary one they would burn you at the stake. I guess that's one way of shunning isn't it?

Seedy

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I forgot one:
    men must have short hair, no beards and no sideburns

• Imbue
    Imbue

Have to agree with harmony's statement.

the whole good/bad association thing always got me. so just cuz your a JW makes ya a good person? ya right *rolls eyes*

However, this is "Too Much" especially when they apply it in the congs. When they twist the bad association script and apply it in the congs so that one should only associate with TITLED persons. This is just like Babylon.

Then there all the stupid social rules:

Your not spiritual if you don't own a four door car

Your not spiritual if you don't answers questions from the WT

Your not spiritual if you don't underline your the answers in the WT

Your not spiritual if you don't utilize theocratic code words
    (if you use a different vocabulary your not programed right)

Your not spiritual if you go to college

Your not spiritual if you buy a house or have retirement plans

Your not spiritual if you talk about doing anything in the future
    (unless your talking about doing it in the new system)

The list could go on and on.......................................

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• one
    one

At school they asked me to joint the basketball team. It BURNED me not been allowed to joint the team. I was ashame to tell the school leaders i had to reject the offer because of the religion, so i told them a different excuse, i am still mad. Can you belevie your very favorite sport at a young age.

Heack, BTW i think my close wordly friend were nicer and more easy going than i was, i could spoil them. Not the other way around. My family never said anything bad about them and allowed me to play with them, informally.

• cynicus
    cynicus

*** w86 4/1 31 Questions From Readers ***

Approved association with Jehovah's Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah's Witnesses. What do such beliefs include?

That the great issue before humankind is the rightfulness of Jehovah's sovereignty, which is why he has allowed wickedness so long. (Ezekiel 25:17) That Jesus Christ had a prehuman existence and is subordinate to his heavenly Father. (John 14:28) That there is a “faithful and discreet slave” upon earth today 'entrusted with all of Jesus' earthly interests,' which slave is associated with the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. (Matthew 24:45-47) That 1914 marked the end of the Gentile Times and the establishment of the Kingdom of God in the heavens, as well as the time for Christ's foretold presence. (Luke 21:7-24; Revelation 11:1512:10) That only 144,000 Christians will receive the heavenly reward. (Revelation 14:1, 3) That Armageddon, referring to the battle of the great day of God the Almighty, is near. (Revelation 16:14, 16; 19:11-21) That it will be followed by Christ's Millennial Reign, which will restore an earth-wide paradise. That the first to enjoy it will be the present “great crowd” of Jesus' “other sheep.” John 10:16; Revelation 7:9-17; 21:3, 4.

---
    Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit