3rd Oil Spill This Week

by designs 23 Replies latest social current

• designs
    designs

Thanks for reporting from the scene and helping, let us know what you find out.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Heavy sigh........ I don't understand why the US government doesn't do more to promote transportation that does not need fossil fuel. I get frustrated at the fact that mankind has come a long way but has a very long way to go. I don't understand why people don't respect our planet. I understand that greed & money is the culprit, but I still don't understand why so many humans are so greedy & selfish & uneducated.

• Berengaria
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I live in an area with many refineries. I do not object to the refineries, I knew they were there when I bought my house, and I drive a car, so obviously, that gasoline has to come from somewhere. But one of the refineries recently had a major explosion, I looked out my window and saw an enormous black cloud. I left my house and spent the night with my daughter, I have health problems and didn't want to risk exposure to a toxic cloud. It turns out the refinery neglected maintenance, so this could have been prevented. I do not feel that the refineries should be allowed to pollute because they chose to skimp on maintenance, so does that make me a hypocrite? My husband and I do what we can to minimize our impact on the environment, I think that everyone should. My husband takes mass transit to work, he recently bought a car that gets 47 MPG. I have a larger vehicle that I need for my business, but for its size, it gets reasonable gas milage, 24mpg and I minimize my trips and combine errands as best I can.

I feel the oil companies should at least be as responsible as I am when it comes to the environment, is that too much to ask? I think we should take steps to reduce our dependance on foreign oil, I am not against drilling, if it does not hurt the environment, but we all know that there is a finite amount of oil. When I see idiots who drive huge cars with horrible mileage where it seems the only reason is vanity, it makes me mad. Their is a price to be paid for gas guzzlers. I am for tax credits to develop alternative energy solutions, I guess that makes me a crazy liberal. So be it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit