3rd Oil Spill This Week

by designs 23 Replies latest social current

• designs
    designs

Exxon, Shell, and Canadian Pacific Railway all had oil spills reported this week. Exxon and Shell's oil spills were from ruptured pipelines and Canadian Pacific had a railcar accident.

The Exxon spill flooded streets and the yards of homes outside of Little Rock Arkansas and the Shell spill occured outside Houston Texas near the Vince Bayou. Residents of the Little Rock community never knew that high pressure pipelines ran under their homes which is a disturbing fact being discovered more and more. Where is the disclosure when you by a home that you sit on top of a potentially dangerous man-made problem. The Coast Guard reported that some of the oil spill in the Bayou had reached the Gulf of Mexico.

Exxon and Shell responded to the spills by sending cleanup and repair crews. Compensation to the residents whose property has been damaged is pending.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I posted on my Facebook about this on my Facebook and how infuriating it is to see so many spills. People seem so apathetic, it's sad to see.

• designs
    designs

Finding the cause is important, if it is due to poor maintenence of the pipelines and valves (especially with these companies making very healthy profits) then that is really a crime. The lack of disclosure over these high pressure pipelines running under homes is really disturbing. How did that not make it into the Disclosure docs.. How do you get insurance again with the underwriter now knowing what is going on. Chevron had old Napta lines going under homes near our old home in the Los Angeles area, when they blew it flattened two city blocks.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Gypsy Sam and designs,

Do you consume products extracted from crude oil?

If so, how do you recommend crude be transported from point-of-origin to refinery?

When you answer that question, then tell me whether that method of transportation is more effective at controlling environmental consequence due to spillage.

It should be interesting to see how well folks have thought through this thing, if at all.

Marvin Shilmer

• designs
    designs

Ah good ol Marv, took your nappy-pooh did you. You know there are easements that can be safer routes than under my home or your home....and there must have been a lot of collusion to hide that disclosure from the public. Planning and Building Departments, City Councils, the Oil companies. etc..

You assume when you buy a home that water, sewer, storm drains, electrical lines go down the street, high pressure napta lines not so much.

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

It is not against the presence of pipelines, it is about knowing they are there and their inherent potential dangers (also called risks), which you then can inquire about. Certainly all off these spills could be avoided or brought under control motre efficiently, had there been adequate maintenance. if you are not informed you are exposed against threats you don't want to be exposed to.

Hoffnung

• designs
    designs

Hoffnung- yes, in the case of Chevron locally the napta lines had been installed before WWII, housing tracks were allowed to be built on top of them many years later. Chevron remained silent, Building Departments remained silent. They were old and should have been drained and capped years ago. It looked like a war bombing raid when they went off, flames 50'-100' feet in the air.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/01/us/florida-sinkhole

Seffner, Florida (CNN) -- The ground just swallowed him up.

A Florida man fell into a sinkhole that opened suddenly Thursday night beneath the bedroom of his suburban Tampa home, calling out to his brother for help as he fell, the brother said Friday.

"I ran toward my brother's bedroom because I heard my brother scream," Jeremy Bush told CNN's "AC360."

"Everything was gone. My brother's bed, my brother's dresser, my brother's TV. My brother was gone."

Bush frantically tried to rescue his brother, Jeff Bush, by standing in the hole and digging at the rubble with a shovel until police arrived and pulled him out, saying the floor was still collapsing.

• designs
    designs

I guess the land surveyors working in Pompeii should have made a note about the smoke they saw in the mountains

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

My working area is aircraft maintenance, and more particularly the organizing and recording of it. If there is anything you can take away from this, than it is most certainly that for any known continuous hazard, which is often unavoidable,you need a maintenance program to bring it under control, a schedule of inspections and other maintenance actions ( like replacing filters and verifying the operation of valves) that have to be done at periodic intervals. The historic record of decreasing aircraft accidents demonstrate it pays off, despite an exponential increase of aircraft movements. The absence of an adequate maintenance program always leads to disasters. Some big oil corporations have not yet learned their lessons and will have to foot a huge bill for this, let alone the local people and the fauna and flora involved, who might have to pay with their lives. quite unacceptable. The incidents reported in the last few weeks certainly could be avoided, and the companies involved have the money to do what is necessary.

Hoffnung

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit