3rd Oil Spill This Week

by designs 23 Replies latest social current

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Marvin - I thought the fact these spills didn't seem to make top news a sad reality of one more aspect of apathy on the part of some humans. My area of expertise does not lie in this field, so I don't have a global solution. I just think that if more people are aware and talking about issues it's better than remaining silent. I try to do what I can for the causes I care about. I bought a hybrid car 8 years ago after a lot of research. I'm just someone that cares about a lot issues and tries to what I can whether it is by recycling, not buying products tested on animals, volunteering at the domestic violence shelter, raising awareness of FGM ( female genital mutilation ) etc. Just trying to get people talking, caring and brainstorming about solutions.

Also, selfishly I love the beach and don't want to see another spill damaging our oceans.

Carpe Diem!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I feel so incredibly bad for the Animals that suffer due to humanity's screw ups. Even some of the smallest oil spills have dire consequences for many Animals and other marine life who suffer and die from our carelessness, and many times, the big oil companies just don't care. The only thing they are concerned with is the almighty dollar.

• designs
    designs

ohio- yes, temperatures people seem to argue about, dead sea life or dead birds from a spill are hard to argue.

'The earth is what we all have in common' W. Berry

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

What a silly argument Marvin.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Great point Marvin. To be honest, we need more pipelines, if anything. And with US and Canada stepping up oil production, we can expect to see just that.

True, it would be better to run underground pipelines away from residential areas. Many lines are laid long before homes are built. Easements for pipelines that stay a distance from residential areas puts them out of sight, but they're still there.

Some like to rant, but the fact is this: we need oil, oil travels through pipelines. Deal with it. If you can find a better way, by all means! Please step forward.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Designs you should really make your voice heard and stick it to these god damned evil oil companies. Have you and all your fellow libs considered giving up your cars, and riding 10 speeds around town?

• smiddy
    smiddy

The fact is modern day society needs oil and it has to be transported from A to B ., and Problems, for one reason or another do occur.

Oil companys do not want to be paying out millions of dollars for negligence , thats not sound business practice .

Corrosion ,metal fatigue ,bad planninig, site locations, building permits, etc.etc, all have a part to play. as does human error.

And I`m damn sure the powers that be within the oil companys are working to lesson the risks of this happening again.,

If we didnt have refinerys processing crude oil and distributing it via pipelines , road tankers , ships , we would still be living in the stoneage ,oil and its refined products are an integral part of modern day living with its many luxuries , medical , and scientific advantages

Accidents do happen , do we slam the automobile industry for the many road deaths ? that occur worldwide ? wanting them to be accountable ?

smiddy

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Good points. Yet, everyone knows the Risks associated with driving. It seems people have a right to know what their home is built on before they make such a big purchase.

• designs
    designs

smiddy- where the automobile mfg's. produce a defective part that results in accidents then they are held responsible. Exxon and Shell will have to pay for the damages caused. Safety and maintenence records will be examined by local and federal inspectors. Maybe a defect will be found in the pipe or valves and those mfg's. will be held responsible.

GS- yes you have a right to know what has been buried below your home.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I was looking for a thread about the Mayflower Oil Spill in AR.

I was there last night.

The smell is horrible. Cops everywhere.

Heavy machinary everywhere.

Its in the water, possibly the lake.

Have been helping out since Day One.

Exxon and the MSM and the politicians are doing all they can to sugar-coat the real damage, as they always do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit