Summary of WT Appeal Brief in Conti Case

by Chaserious 79 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Perfect example from problemaddict of why the Watchtower bears the majority of the responsibility, the elders feel that 'direction must be followed'.

• Scott77
    Scott77

marked

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    problemaddict - "They literally said they preferred to defer to the society, and that they wouldn't want to go to the police and 'open that can of worms...and that anyways the slaves direction should be enough for me.'"

Up to and including falling on one's sword? More and more, the WTS seems to actively want this kind of personality in its heirarchy.

As far as I'm concerned, that's only a few steps away from using one's sword on others...

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Hmmmm. . . If they knew what was good for them, they would stop writing "letters". . . . .

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

I didn't follow the case in great detail but was her relationship to Kendricks result of him being an "agent" of WTS?

They are sort of closely related doctrines, but this is not a case about agency. A good example of agency is from a case several years back where the WTS was sued by the family of someone who was killed by a bethellite in a car crash on the way to a meeting. The issue with agency is that even if someone is an agent, the principal is only liable while the agent is acting within the general framework of what they are expected to do as an agent. So for example, an employee is generally an agent, but the employer is not going to be liable for what an employee does on their own time in matters completely unrelated to work. Also, in an agency case, the principal is liable for the acts of the agent. In this case, the WTS was held liable for their own acts. Kendrick was held 60% responsible, and the WTS will not have to pay that portion of the judgment; just their 27% for their own liability, plus the punitive part. If Kendrick was an agent, they would owe his 60% also.

They literally said they preferred to defer to the society, and that they wouldn't want to go to the police and "open that can of worms

That is totally incredible that a parent would think that way. They really have a lot of the R&F under their thumb, don't they?

I think that the Watchtower is going to have a hard time proving that no special relationship existed between them, the congregation and Candace

LisaRose - I'm sure Rick Simons will have a lot of persuasive stuff to say about this. It seems like he did a great job dissecting how a congregation works and how the organization works at the trial. They definitely require a level of conformity and try to build a (false) sense of security and insularity that is not present in other religions. He'll definitely lay out the case for a special relationship very well.

"Well, who cares about our moral responsibility - we had no legal responsibility, so we should be free and clear!"

You're right about that, Sir82. If the hypocrisy in this could be made known, it could be even more damaging than paying the jury award.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Chaserious - "That is totally incredible that a parent would think that way."

Clearly, he's a parent who hasn't experienced it first-hand; he might change his tune if something actually happened to his kid.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Did I miss it, or has anyone leaked Watchtower's appeal "brief" online?

• whathappened
    whathappened

Thank you for posting your analysis of their brief. I honestly don't see how they can claim to be gods earthly viable organization with such an unloving attitude about innocent victims that they made vulnerable to molesters who are allowed to florish inside the congregation.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Breakfastofchampions -- Check chase's first post on this thread and click the word 'brief'

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    whathappened - "...I honestly don't see how they can claim to be gods earthly viable organization with such an unloving attitude..."

Well, when you worship a wrathful, authoritarian, Old-Testament god...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit