This weeks study article: God gave us these truths, yet we admit he hasn't actually given us the truth yet-- think about it

by The Quiet One 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Thanks for all the replies. Good points.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

How many times do they say 'evidently' when making something up without facts to base it on?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

My 2 penneth

Wt 2/13 page 3 paragraph 3--> "Though religious error abounds (Strawman) worldwide, how thankful we are (The preachers ’we’ fallacy) that God (Appeal to authority) has given us spiritual (Loaded language) light and truth! (Truth® = loaded language) (read Psalm 43:3,4.) Whereas the masses of mankind (How many statistically? Strawman over generalising) walk in darkness, (Appeal to fear) we joyfully (Weasel word) keep on walking in God-given spiritual light." (Again appeal to authority, loaded language)

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Thanks punk :)

• caliber
    caliber

How many times do they say 'evidently' when making something up without facts to base it on?

So true .....

The Society loves the use of qualifying words, i.e. "apparently", "logically", "evidently"

evidently sounds like evidence,

apparently says clear, unmistakeable,

logically says sound reason

"irrisistable conclusion" used when different meanings for" this generation" was discussed , takes the cake though

"irrisistable".... evidently because logically meaning for all the other options have run out .. this is clearly apparent

• Blttex
    Blttex

The basis of every argument made by the society stems from the type of fallacy described below:

[An Appeal to Authority is a fallacy with the following form:

1. Person A is (claimed to be) an authority on subject S.
    2. Person A makes claim C about subject S.
    3. Therefore, C is true.]

Whenever they are backed into a corner and can't logically explain their position they always resort to their "authority".

• Satanus
    Satanus

' 'The truth about something is ALL the facts about it,'

Is that even possible, in any way? Even scientists don't claim to have all the facts. I certainly don't ever expect to be able to have or get all the facts about anything. All i try to do is to be able to understand something.

This could get into a philosophical discussion. Plato, i believe, put forth the idea that the only way to really know something is through direct experience.

S

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Socrates: "True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us."

• Blttex
    Blttex

Socrates would be considered an apostate for the simple fact that he asked questions.

• Blttex
    Blttex

They'd probably rename him apostrophes lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit