This weeks study article: God gave us these truths, yet we admit he hasn't actually given us the truth yet-- think about it

by The Quiet One 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Wt 2/13 page 3 paragraph 3--> "Though religious error abounds worldwide, how thankful we are that God has given us spiritual light and truth! (read Psalm 43:3,4.) Whereas the masses of mankind walk in darkness, we joyfully keep on walking in God-given spiritual light." paragraph 17-->" 'The truth about something is ALL the facts about it, rather than things that are imagined or invented', says Collins Cobuild English Dictionary " ..(capitals mine for emphasis) paragraph 18-->"Our comprehension of the truth steadily becomes clearer" (then Proverbs 4:18 is quoted)

• designs
  • The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

What does that mean? Does what I've written not make sense? Nobody ever seems to understand where I'm coming from..

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

just like them calling themselves shepherds and being proud of it.

shepherd is good to the sheep for it's own gain........... eventually the sheep hits the slaughterhouse

• Listener
    Listener

They seem to be saying that the truth becomes known when you stop inventing or imagining and start baseing it on facts. This may be true with some of their teachings such as each creative day being eons long and not limited to 7,000 years but they invented the idea of the 7,000 years initially. The problem is that they do invent and imagine ideas and doctrines and that is not truth and should never be taught as such.

It does not explain how truth can be found when they flip flop on their ideas.

• designs
    designs

Quiet- What you've written is fine, it is a familar story about the religion we all were part of at one time. Belief that this earth and its humanity will be destroyed is the shallowest of spiritual paths. Pity them.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

That was one messed up Watchtower. (The following one isn't any better.)

In addition to TQO's examples, there is par. 12 about Jehovah preserving His Name in the Bible. And yet the par. also mentions that the NWT has restored it to its rightful place, including 237 times in the NT. Why didn't Jehovah preserve His Name in the NT manuscripts?

After crowing about others' religious error with an attitude somewhat reminiscent of the Pharisee's prayer, "O God, I thank you I am not as the rest of men ..." (Luke 18:9-14), and shortly before par. 17's continued crowing about truth and facts, par. 15 repeats the "607 BCE" falsehood!

Par. 21: "Never has false religion posed a serious threat to true worship." So what's with all the paranoia?

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

A quick look at ps43:3&4 suggests that light and truth are associated with joy, song and wanting to be in the presence of holiness and all this comes after a period of bewilderment, mourning and anxiety (verses 1&2). It doesn't seem like the singer/writer is trying to be rationalising by means of facts. Rather he seems to be emphasizing the power of invention (the lyre) and the imagination (he imagines himself being led to the sanctuary and then experiencing great joy). This is altogether more mysterious than facts (contradicting the later paras you quote from). Good paragraph to take a stab at participating. What is the question on this para the quiet one?

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

Does the article mention Jesus at all?

• 88JM
    88JM

Only three times near the end in paragraphs 18 and 19 in fairly brief references.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit