by The Searcher 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

I've heard of the Menlo Park KH incident also

http://ex-jw.com/menlo-park-state-lawsui

Affectionately Brother of the Hawk

• tiki
    tiki

thank you for your input 'anddontcallmeshirley' aka leslie neilson.....interesting stuff. the manipulative tactics are something else....

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Making a profit off natural disasters, I know people who stayed in Governing housing during Katrina to help the "brothers" and now we find out the Watchtower was asking for money back they did not spend?

We are becoming more like Scientology and less Christ-like, is it any wonder most of the elders I knew ended up with panick attacks, depression, heart attack, strokes, stepping down due to horrible stressors (C.O.s) who keep bugging them to return to "the fine work".?

• Incognito
    Incognito

QueenWitch said:

JWs donate to WWW. Local cong needs a new KH so they petition or apply to WBTS to get the donated funds loaned to them. The donated loan is used to build new KH which doesn't belong to local congs but to WBTS AND local congs have to pay loan back.

Witnesses do not only donate to the WWW but also separately donate to the care and upkeep of their local kingdom hall.

For the initial build or renovation of a Kingdom Hall, the local Elders will request donations from the congregants. Whatever outstanding money required that was not donated, will need to be borrowed which is where the WT steps in.

In years past, the WT had provided long term loans (mortgages) and charged interest on those loans, just like any other money lender. Although the interest charged was substantially lower than that obtained through a financial institution, the money had actually been donated to the Society to support the preaching activity. I understand the WT no longer charges interest but the question arises if the money should be loaned or if it should be provided freely to the various congregations by the WT.

Some here have stated that the WT assumes ownership of K-Halls once the loans are paid-off. Although I don’t know this for sure, it makes sense that the WT would not assume ownership before the loan is paid as they can more easily pressure others if the loan isn’t paid on time.

From what I’ve seen, the WT will usually have the Regional Building Committee review KHs that are close to being paid-off. The RBC may then ‘encourage’ a major upgrade or renovation and as these projects are usually substantial and beyond the finances of the local congregation, the Society loan may need to be extended.

Sometimes the RBC recomend to build new particularly if the building is older, substandard or possibly not in the best location. As the RBC is seen as god’s mouthpiece, not many will challenge their recommendations or authority and those few that do are looked upon with contempt.

In the case of ass halls, is process the same? Local congs obtain land and building permits, etc. so building is paid for and there is no mortgage, just tax on the land. (or maybe not since this is "non-profit" org). Local congs don't own ass halls either so have to pay rent for weekend use. Is that right?

Firstly, the properties are considered religious places of worship which is why they are not taxed (in this part of the world anyway).

When the Ass. Hall I attended was first planned more than 35 years ago, the various congregations that were to be assigned to that hall, were asked to donate money for its construction. I recall that by the time the building was used for the first time, the entire property was substantially paid for. It was originally planned that the building would be used 48 of 52 weekends per year.

Any money now required should only be for ongoing operating expenses, maintenance and major capital replacements. Since the 'brothers' usually provide free labor for cleaning, light maintenance and even major repair/replacement/refurbishments, the ongoing costs should not be very high in comparison to that needed to contract out these same services although I've heard some brothers are not so generous and charge big when they can.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit