Bethel Laying Off

by Bob_NC 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

I am not sure InChristAlone, but recent allexperts postings would also make one think that people are leaving Bethel. What do you think?

• Gayle
    Gayle

Bethel may be laying off unproductive or unneeded Bethelites; but their staff at branches is increasing. 2011 Service year, worldwide, was a total of 20,595, but 2012, worldwide showed a total of 21,612 staff at branch facilities. ???

• Gayle
    Gayle

who or what is "allexperts?" you are referring if I may ask?

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

AllExperts is a web site where people can ask questions to experts on hundreds of topics. A very popular topic is "Jehovah's Witness." Here is the link:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Jehovah-s-Witness-1617/

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Post 2001, the US Branch has been shrinking. Since we all suspect that donations are at an all time low, it makes sense to shrink the numbers worldwide. There's a few things they've done to do this.

1) Not bring in any new Bethelites. There's always been a churn at Bethel. Guys that do their 1 year and leave, guys that get married and leave, etc. The problem is that there was no lack of replacements. Now they don't bring in new people for months at a time.

2)MTS and Giliead. In years past if a person wanted to attend either school, they had to leave Bethel, apply, and hope they get in. Obviously no one in a position to attend either school would want to leave Bethel, so they changed that rule. As soon as that happened, there were a ton of applicants. A great way to thin the numbers.

3) "Lay-off" people. They definitely re-assigned a lot of people to special pioneering. It wasn't necessarily bad workers though. It was sort of an unspoken rule at Bethel that after doing a manual job for so long you'd eventually get an office job. By that time the brother is probably an elder and maybe a Bethel elder. So that leads to too many chiefs (in made up positions). Most of the people I know whom were sent home fit this bill. They are still in the Religious Order and get a stipend. I don't know how much it is. I've never asked one because it's generally impolite to talk about money. I'm sure someone here knows.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think they are letting go the older Bethelites because over time they become a liability. Worker's Compensation, and so on. I am pretty sure that they've been caught out as having a duty to these ageing volunteers.

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/watchtower-money/bethelite-sues-watchtower-society/

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

"I think they are letting go the older Bethelites because over time they become a liability. Worker's Compensation, and so on."

So lovely to see Jehovah's loving spirit at work !

• LV101
    LV101

NewYork44M --- They have the "holy spirit"?

• sir82
    sir82

US Bethel "laid off" about 1/3 of their work force, around 2000 people, about 5 or so years ago.

Are you saying you've heard rumors of another round or reassignments to come?

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Sir82: My guess would be yes. With Brooklyn shutting down and the printery downsizing. there's a TON of support people that they aren't going to need.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit