Hello

by apocryphal 19 Replies latest jw friends

• apocryphal
    apocryphal

Hello everyone, as you can tell I’m new in this community. I didn’t have the courage of posting my introduction until today. I must say this is a very interesting forum; one can find people from all walks of life and different backgrounds sharing fascinating stories. It’s refreshing to read posts where one subject/topic can be analyzed or examined from different angles; I like that. As they say, poeple 'can agree to disagree without being disagreeable’.

In my case I was born in the JW religion and baptized when I was 15. I’ve never been a member of any other religious organization; both of my parents are zealous and devout witnesses as is all my family; I was indoctrinated from an early age. A few years ago, however, I came to know, as many of you call it, the truth about the truth and came to the conclusion that everything I was taught as a witness is just an illusion. After many hours of independent research and investigation, I reached a point where I had to be honest with myself and admit that I was wrong; my little bubble burst. I also realized that I don’t have or need to have the answer to all questions in life. I became very disillusioned with religion in general. I no longer consider the Bible to be the word of God (what makes a tribal Hebrew god any better or credible than Allah, Krishna, Horus, Zeus, etc.). Even though I’m still considered an active witness (I go to meetings, go from door to door in the field service, etc.), it is becoming a difficult task. Sometimes I think I’m insane, I’ve developed at least three different personalities. Personality A allows me to interact with people at the KH, personality B to interact with people at work/school, and personality C that allows me to interact with friends and family in more casual settings. Since all my family is in the organization, if I ever decide to publicly reject the WT (which equals to reject God in the eyes of a witness), it would be the end of all family ties. It’s all very confusing and frustrating at times; I don’t know what to believe anymore. Luckily, I’m in my mid 20s’ and college-educated, it’s just the idea of not having to talk to my family anymore for the rest of my life that scares me. Sometimes I wish there were some kind of time travel device, like in the ‘Back To The Future’ trilogy. Had I known then (when I was a young boy) what I know now about the WT and organized religion, I would probably have never made the decision to join this cult. Anyway, I just wanted to get this off my chest. Thank you for listening, I just wanted to share my story with people who have gone or are going through the same situation.

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

Hi Apocryphal-

Welcome to the forum- you will find a lot of support here from many who have been or are going through the same situation. I'm also born-in, still active and facing the loss of my whole family if I'm anything but active. At least you've woken up at a relatively young age and don't have a spouse or kids, which makes things a lot more complicated. For now, I'm taking comfort in the fact that, while I may still have to give a certain amount of time to the org to maintain my family relationships, they have no hold over my mind, my life decisions or my future. Someday I will be out. Take your time, don't make any rash decisions- it will all work out.

DR

• Comatose
    Comatose

Hey, welcome friend. I'm a lot like you in many ways. But, I'm trying a slow fade with no explaining or discussing at all with parents. Hoping this will make it easier for them to keep associating with me. At your age and with an education, could you move 'for work'?

hang in there. Remember you have all the time in the world. Just come up with a plan. A plan is the one thing that helps. When your mind is about to explode you can fall back on the fact that its all temporary, and the plan is in action.

Good luck and welcome!

• mind blown
    mind blown

Hello and welcome

Though you're in a bit of a situation, you sound level headed.

Yes, many of us have lost our families, and many others are still in as not to lose them. You have to do what's best for yourself.

I know what you mean about going back in time, re doing or undo taking the dunk.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Welcome to the forum, apocryphal.

As long as you can maintain Personality A, you can ask questions of your family. Note: Ask questions .... not state opinions, esp. contrary ones. Only ever ask questions that affect them, but portray them as questions that you need an answer to. Remember every warning sign the WT gave you and your family to identify apostates, and don't cross the line. You are the troooo believer, you just want help understanding this .........?

If you want any chance of maintaining some kind of half decent relationship with your family, consider being the last one 'out'.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Apocryphal...Hello...and Welcome!

There is no denying, that because you now understand TTATT, your life is changed. We all can sympathize with you. Many of us have been in your shoes, some young, others, much older. You can do a word search, and read back a dozen years on what others have done, and what the outcome was. Every situation is unique. I wish you the best, in your life's journey.

Hugs to you, from a fellow traveler. ((((((())))))

Just Lois

• happy@last
    happy@last

Welcome here, I agree it is a great place. I hope you find peace in your situation, many find the mental turmoil too much to keep going. It's great you have interests and a life away from the 'religion'.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Welcome Apocryphal ,I wish you well on your journey to life as you were meant to live it.

smiddy

• FingersCrossed
    FingersCrossed

Hello and welcome!!

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Greetings Apocryphal. I am happy you have woke up and have come to learn the WT is a cult. The advantage you have is your age. Just take your time. You will find if you let it as time goes by you will find the perfect time to let everybody know. Just take your time. My wife and I woke up about three years before we made the complete break. It's hard but will worth the wait. The best to you and good to hear from you. Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit