Madness in the pages of the very first Golden Age. The date? Oct 1, 1919

by cedars 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I was doing some research in the very first issue of Golden Age (forerunner to Awake!), published October 1, 1919, and couldn't believe what madness was contained on some of its pages.

For example, I can't believe I missed this clipping when I was researching my article on racism in early watchtower literature a year ago....

segregation 1919

Segregation of black children is basically praised as "wise" and "probably an advantage to all concerned." This is five years after black audience members were segregated at one of the first screenings of the Photodrama of Creation in New York in 1914.

There is also a most peculiar article on Japanese women on pages 7 and 8, which reads as follows...

japanese women

japanese women

As with other articles in this magazine, it's easy to get lost in the writer's meandering reasoning and fail to figure out exactly what point he is trying to make. The way I read it, the writer is essentially saying... "Americans marrying Japanese women is all very well and good, but what about the children that will be born? They will be mixed race!"

The writer then uses the poor marital options (due to local racial discrimination) for children of mixed race couples, as well as the "living conditions" in "Japanese quarters," to suggest that the "amalgamation" of Japanese and white races is not a good idea, before boldly stating that all of this is "a very literal fulfilment" of God's curse of Eve in Genesis 3:16.

Food at the proper time indeed.

I could cite more examples of madness and backwards thinking in this magazine, but I personally find the following article among the craziest (skip to the final paragraph if you can't stomach it all)...

dynamite

dynamite

dynamite

And there you have it folks. Christ's four and a half inspection and cleansing period from 1914 to 1919 yielded an organization that thought racial segregation was a good idea "for all concerned," thought that the poor prospects for mixed race children was part of Eve's curse, and thought that the Earth would be transformed into a paradise with the use of dynamite.

Cedars

• cantleave
    cantleave

It's nice to see Jehovahs unchanging standards in action!

• Wilfried
    Wilfried

So great -- Thanks Cedar

• designs
    designs

Were they trying to appeal to the mood of the country at the time or reflect it, was it seperate but equal, seperate and not so equal. Wasn't Russell against the Suffragetts. The new team under Rutherford was setting the bar pretty low.

• cedars
    cedars

Some interesting quotes about the Golden Age and 1919...

"In 1919 The Golden Age (a companion magazine later to become Consolation, and then Awake!) began to be published to arouse public interest, in addition to building up the 'domestics.' (Matthew 24:45) Floods of books, booklets, and tracts have also been produced over the years." - w90 3/15 p.16

"On October 1, 1919, a new magazine appeared on the world stage: The Golden Age. The watchman class would use this instrument as an associate to The Watchtower. Although its articles would not delve into Bible subjects as deeply as those in The Watchtower, it would alert mankind to false religious teachings, the coming destruction of the present wicked system of things, and the new earth of righteousness to follow. Yes, it too would champion the truth!" - w87 3/1 p.13

"Shortly after that convention, the first issue of The Golden Age—that of October 1, 1919—was published. With that journal and other publications of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, the loyal ‘virgin class’ went forth on their mission of world illumination. They launched out on the postwar work of ‘preaching this good news of the kingdom for a witness to all the nations’ before the end of this system of things would come. (Matthew 24:14) In this way the anointed remnant, the ‘discreet virgin’ class, became an outstanding feature of the composite “sign” marking Jesus’ invisible “presence” as empowered King and “the conclusion of the system of things.” That enlightening work is further weighty proof that “the time of the end” began at the close of the Gentile Times in 1914. Happy are all those who with understanding see this foretold feature of the “sign” in all its significance!" - w85 2/1 p.18

"After the harsh persecution experienced during World War I, renewed strength was infused into Jehovah’s servants by means of Watch Tower articles entitled “Blessed Are the Fearless,” published in 1919. Jehovah had more work for them to do. At their Cedar Point, Ohio, convention that year, in the discourse “Announcing the Kingdom,” notice was given of a new publication, The Golden Age (now known as Awake!), for widespread public distribution to point people to “the Golden Age of the glorious reign of the Messiah.” All the “chosen ones” were encouraged to share in this activity." - w84 2/1 p.22

"In the same year, a companion magazine to The Watch Tower was first published. Originally called The Golden Age (now Awake!), it has always supported The Watchtower in fearlessly exposing the corruption of this world and in helping God’s people to remain clean." - dp p.300

"In the modern-day fulfillment, Zion represents Jehovah’s heavenly “woman,” his heavenly organization of spirit beings. In 1919 this “woman” rejoiced to see the birth of her anointed sons on earth as an organized people, “a nation.” That rebirth was swift and sudden. In just a matter of months, the anointed as a group went from a state of deathlike inactivity to one of vibrant, active life in their “land,” their God-given realm of spiritual activity. (Revelation 11:8-12) By the autumn of 1919, they even announced the publication of a new journal to complement The Watch Tower. Called The Golden Age (now Awake!), that new publication was evidence that God’s people were revitalized and once again organized for service." - ip-2 pp.398-399

"As the angels got ready to blow those trumpets, no doubt they were also giving direction to a preparatory work on earth. From 1919 to 1922, the revitalized John class was busy in reorganizing the public ministry and building up publishing facilities. In 1919 the magazine The Golden Age, known today as Awake!, had been brought forth as “A Journal of Fact, Hope, and Conviction”—a trumpetlike instrument that would play a key role in exposing false religion’s political involvements." - Revelation Climax p.132

Cedars

• designs
    designs

Even the angels were segregationists, nice.

• zeb
    zeb

• cedars
    cedars

This appears on the last page of the very first Golden Age issue...

zionism

Quite a departure from the current approach to Zionism...

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/beliefs-about-zionism/

Cedars

• designs
    designs

Russell's endorsement of Zionism caused the first major schism in the Bible Students, 1906.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Great catch Cedars. Racial segregation has still existed in the org within the last 50 years, in parts of America at least. I know someone (black friend of mine) who went to an assembly, went to sit down somewhere and was told by an attendant.. 'your people are sitting over there', pointing to where they should sit!! (this was sometime within the last 50 years, probably 60's or 70's but I'm certainly not bringing it up again to get more details, so don't ask me to!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit