Good Friday, bloody good times had by all

by designs 25 Replies latest social current

• Sulla
    Sulla

Asking the right questions and listening to my inner voice helped get me out of that religion.

So, the fact that you stopped believing through a similar process that started you believing makes you more certain that the process yields correct answers. You don't find the similarity betweek the JWs' claim that everyother religion is the product of stupidity or personal corruption and your current claim that every religion is the product of stupidity or personal corruption to present a reason for a certain level of circumspection when it comes to your opinions?

So the 'wood of the cross' is the salvation of the world- how and to whom is this score settled. Who needed to see blood spilled.

Perhaps in addition to listening to your inner voice, you could have spent a little time investigating the best explanations for how it is that the death and resurrection of Christ brings salvation. And by, "best," I mean something other than the opinion of the pastor at the local Bible church. Nothing against them, but they are really optimized for telling rich suburbanites that God thinks they are really cool and, if they would just be a little nicer, everything would be groovy.

No, you're to bright for that -- note: not sarcasm--or for anyone who would try to throw some sort of JW-Lite version of "God wanted to settle a bet with Satan." But I honestly don't think you've made any effort past the megachurch to grasp what it is that Christians are saying. At least, Christians who have really thought about this sort of thing.

I dont claim to have the last word on it, designs. But it seems to be that violence and blood sacrifice is how we tolerate living together. Civilization is really focused on finding ways to keep us from tearing ourselves apart and the way we do that -- for the last few hundred thousand years -- is by sacrifice. Scapegoats. Everybody everywhere has always done sacrifices, very often of people, until very recently. But whenever you find something that everybody does everywhere always, there is usually a deeply-felt reason for it.

So, "Who needed to see blood spilled?" We did, deisgns. We always have needed it. Jesus on the cross breaks all the altars, shows us that scapegoats are not guilty -- though we cannot hear it. We are a species that will kill God Himself if we have the chance. That knowledge completes the original sin, and so makes it possible to live like we are called to live.

On the cross is the salvation of the whole world.

• Open mind
    Open mind

For the English speaking Christians out there, I think the name of the day would make a little more sense if it was changed to "Holy Friday" as it is in Romance Languages or "Sorrowful or Suffering Friday" as it is in German.

http://catholicism.about.com/od/Good-Friday/f/Why-Is-Good-Friday-Good.htm

Just my $.02.

om

• Satanus
    Satanus

This fascination w suffering isn't new. It is a huge part of what helped christianity sweep the western world. Theres got to be something in the human psyche that is attracted to this.

S

• rebel8
    rebel8

I think the gore is consistent with the rest of mainstream xian philosophy. It reinforces the sacrifice they believe Christ made, and appreciation for it.

The censored, non-bloody American version does not inspire as much appreciation, I reckon. I view Lenten sacrifices such as "giving up chocolate" similarly inept.

Why anyone would think physically punishing oneself in order to show appreciation for Christ is not a symptom of mental illness, I don't know.

Not that I believe a wiff of it. Just find it consistent is all.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

What's the big deal about the crucifixion of Jesus? Nothing, unless you believe what the Bible says.

(1 Cor 2:1-2) And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. {2} For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

(1 Cor 15:3) For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

(Gal 6:14) But God forbid that I should boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

It is only important for Christians. To all others it is foolishness and something to be mocked.

(1Cor 1:18) “For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.”

It was the fulfillment of John 3:16 that God loved the world so much as to send Jesus. The importance of it really is stated completely in Col 2:14: He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

One thing I have noticed here in Australia, is that the Catholic, Anglican etc. church leaders who are preaching the Good Friday message on TV are actually more inline with the Bible's message then the JW's have ever been. The death and resurrection of Jesus, forgiveness of sins, love and charitable giving. No rules and regulations and a looong list of divine requirements.

This time last year I was handing out memorial invites like they were going out of style, believing that I had the true message that people needed to hear. I now listen to mainstream church leaders and I can see that they are doing a much better job of preaching the Good News than the JW's. No magazines on 'The Mighty Carrot' or the 'The Humble Potato', just the Good News.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

As far as the graphic depictions of the death of Jesus go, it is important to know what He went through for all people. It is easy to say that Jesus died for our sins. Quite another to see the pain and anguish (physical, emotional, and spiritual) that He went through with YOU on His mind. Even those that He knew would reject and mock Him.

Seeing depictions of the crucifixion drives home what Christians believe. Makes it more real than just words on a page. Most "good" men would not go through such anguish for those that are friends, let alone those that hate them. But Jesus did. And after it all (the anguish, pain, and rejection) Jesus said, " "Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing." (Luke 23:34)

• still thinking
    still thinking

But I honestly don't think you've made any effort past the megachurch to grasp what it is that Christians are saying. At least, Christians who have really thought about this sort of thing.

I really don't think you grasp that many of us have looked at what you are saying...and don't agree. Many of us have thought about this stuff in depth. And concluded there is no basis in reality. It is all myth and imagination.

The fact that you believe it all, hook, line and sinker...says nothing about others abilities. But it does speak volumes about your desire to be told what to think by a religion.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

For the English speaking Christians out there, I think the name of the day would make a little more sense if it was changed to "Holy Friday" as it is
    in Romance Languages or "Sorrowful or Suffering Friday" as it is in German.

Many do call it something else. Many call it Black Friday. Or Holy Friday. It just hasn't caught on since mainstream continues to use the term "Good Friday".

We call it Good Friday based on a few reasons. Anglo Saxons equated "good" with "holy". Some scholars argue that "good" is a corruption of "God" and that early Christians commemorating the sad event called it "God's Friday". This is debatable, however.

The best explanation, to me at least, is what the book "Sacred Origins of Profound Things" states: "Others claim that "good" signifies the bounty of blessings - indeed salvation - Christ won for human kind by his sacrifice."

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

One more thing. The early Christians placed a high value on the cross as well, as early as the 1st century. The cross is etched in coffins, and in several places in 1st century catacombs. Yet, the claim is still made that Jesus crucifixion is a later invention.

A "head stone", found near the entrance to the first century catacomb, is inscribed with the sign of the cross.

A first-century coffin bearing cross marks as it was found by archaeologist P. Bagatti in the catacomb on the Mt. of Olives. The Hebrew inscription both on the lid and body of the coffin reads: "Shlom-zion". Archaeologist Claremont-Ganneau found the same name followed by the designation "daughter of Simon the Priest."

http://www.leaderu.com/theology/burialcave.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit