Growing old and broke... Need advice on making money! Ebay? Ideas?

by Greybeard 29 Replies latest jw friends

• just Ron
    just Ron

Summer is around the corner. You could put your hvac experience to work and do ac matinance for people before the heat of summer arives. Then may be turn it in to your own buisness

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

@ Ron, Thats true however I live in Grover Beach California near Pismo Beach. People don't need A/C here. The weather is almost perfect year around. I have made mucho money in the past in the HVAC business in Porterville Ca.

• ohiocowboy
  • moshe
    moshe

There are short term $$ jobs and jobs that pay off later with a retirement- choose wisely grasshopper.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

If refrigeration is related, I know some guys make BIG $$. Nothing sends a grocer into a panic like a broken refer on a Sunday.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Brother of the Hawk : " I work a $11 an hour hard labor job..."

Is that even legal???? The minimum wage for hard labour jobs in Australia is $18, and cleaners $15. If you clean for the schools or government you get $19 an hour. My husband stacks fruit all day at nearly $22 an hour. I know things are much cheaper in the USA than in Australia, but can anyone live on $11 an hour?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

This question has bugged me too. I've been in really great paying jobs and right now I'm in a well paid job ( for the UK) but it's only just covering all the bills and not allowing much beyond that. I've been wondering what I need to do for the next few years to give my wife and I a retirement with sufficient money. These are my thoughts so far.

1/ 95% of the time no one will get rich working for someone else.

2/ Rich people either have a niche skill (CEO, lawyer, brain surgeon) or have their own business.

3/ Most people who have their own business are not rich and work ferocious hours.

4/ Luck is a large part of wealth (a Bill Gates at school today does not get wealthy on operating systems). You have to have a product that is desirable and which you are heavily invested in Or you have to have goodwill which is recognition for a product or service built up over a long time and or with clever advertising. The right advert, the right idea, the right circumstances are more important than we realise.

5/ Expectations. People who expect to fail at school are more likely to. People from wealthy families are expected to be in a profession and are more likely to. When we settle for our current wage it begins to form an expectation in us. A person earning minimum wage is often very willing to accept a 20% pay rise of a few dollars, a person with high expectations is insulted and rejects it looking for the 200% higher paying job.

6/ Your most valuable resource is time. Money is a valuation of your time. If what you do earns no money or improves your earning very little (Tv watching) then you reduce your economic potential. If you know something and then , in Covey language, "sharpen the saw", you improve your earning potential. Work in havc? Get out some latest technical manuals and learn what's cutting edge, which are the cheapest to run, what is the main manufacturers roadmaps ( I.e. are there any game changers on the horizon) ; talk with knowledge about your area of expertise( fitting is a skill but it's not the one that potentially will pay the most.) You don't need university degrees to be an authority on a subject. Register on a few technical forums, get trade journals, contact hvac companies direct for tours, product demonstrations or to make design decisions , patent a few design improvements , a new valve design here, a new switching mechanism there.

Putting this all together:

Evaluate time , how much do you have (daily and until retirement) - what wastes it. Eliminate the waste and time box relaxation , family time and home chores. Make some time for your personal wealth creation project.

Is your area of expertise in an area that can make big money? A hvac expert might be able to make a killing in some niche area say Arizona military base aircraft hangers. A hvac expert will pick up on this due to research. If NOT reskill. Computers are quick to pick up but not easy to make cash from. Look for what is the current zeitgeist or even better whats likely to be. People want to save money at the moment and save the planet, how about buying a camera for taking photos of heat loss. Go around the neighbourhood and ask people if you can do a heat loss survey of their home so they know where they are losing the most cash. Set up a referral system with reputable insulators, solar panel installers( or do this as a side job cross skilling from hvac installation) and then do this as an evening job while holding down the day job. Keep the day job until it costs you more to go to work for someone else than you can make for yourself. Whatever you do be objective and ruthless. Think about yourself as an employee and then think, as a boss, how can you make money with this guy, what skills does he need, what does he suck at.

Dress the part , talk the part, think the part. Self made rich people eat healthy, dress smartly, talk well, have a gym membership, keep a tidy house etc. this discipline affects everything they do and feeds the self confidence that exudes from an independently wealthy individual. Don't be arrogant but be the best you you can be. Make your financial success a facet of your overall excellence rather than the sole goal of an average person.

Good luck, keep persevering, you will fail in many battles - often catastrophically- make sure you don't lose the war.

• maisha
    maisha

2 years ago i took a product from africa and sold it from my home country on ebay. i turned over $60k in 4 months

I couldnt find anyone to take it over so just let it die.

I cannot sell that stuff from africa as it needs an export cert costing $600 for each shipment regardless of size.

but individually from other countries it is easy to ship.

Welcome...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

greybeard I just got round to sending you a PM

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

geez its so simple,,,,,,start a publishing cult,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but seriously.........

MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER........START TELLING YOUR LIFE STORY.....IN AND OUT OF WT......

then move on from there...........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit