Growing old and broke... Need advice on making money! Ebay? Ideas?

by Greybeard 29 Replies latest jw friends

• soontobe
    soontobe

Good luck Greybeard.

• irondork
    irondork

Greybeard, I wish I had something to offer besides my best hopes for your success.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Hi Greybeard! All good advice.

I had a bunch of "junk" in the garage and was amazed we got 30K for it on ebay. Just make certain the auctions END when people in all US timezones are awake and home.

With voip, Skype, and high speed internet you can do a lot of things from home. A lot of companies pay well for sales...something every JW had plenty of experience with. A Wallstreet company hired me on the spot when they found out I had been raised a JW. The manager laughed out loud and said I KNOW you must be able to handle rejection!!!. Made some good $$ at it-

I have read about LOTS of construction and truck driving jobs in Nebraska and the Dakotas because of the oil boom. No housing for workers etc.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

P.S.- Put a dash of haircolor/grey cover-up on for interviews. Leave off OLD experiance 70s, 80s, Grad dates. Employers DO discriminate- the over 50 crowd raise insurance premiums. Get a LinkedIn profile up with and OLD photo-or photo shop- the HR people check it out.

• wasblind
    wasblind

P.S.- Put a dash of haircolor/grey cover-up on for interviews.____Balaam

I think he's a cutie, that grey makes him look distinguished , wise and knowledgeable

comfortable in his own skin

It's a shame what we are forced to do to compete amongst the young

As for me. I can't drop it like it's hot like a twenty year old

once I'm down, ain't nothin' left to do but count me out

• moshe
    moshe
    If any of you have any advice please let me know.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2012/jan/20/nuclear-power-careers-focus-of-irsc-open-house/

I worked with a 58 year former, marine/boat mechanic who took this 2 year community college course in Nuclear power technology- The power company hired him as an elctrician apprentice at $29/hr- he got two years credit for his degree. - Every graduate was hired by Florida Power-

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I have made a living selling books for 7 years. An easy, low skill, low risk business to be in for sure. Good income too, certainly above average, and that's without even trying so hard. I'd recommend it to anyone. (Unless they live next door)

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Your photography skills are excellent! Studio/commercial/website work? Weddings? Your music? -sent you an email.

• AuntConnie
    AuntConnie

The minining industry is hurting for help in the Northern States, when I get more posting priviledges I can explain why some great jobs are in North Dakota, South Dakota. Why do we bring in help from other countries when our citizens and residents are unemployed. Where are you willing to move to make more money, some of these companies have generous plans with health and retirement. Is your health still in tact physically and mentally, you appear young from the photo you post here.

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

Thanks everyone for your advice and please keep it coming ;)

Moving is the last thing I want to do but I might need to. I really want to make a go online.

@ Slimboyfat, Do you sell books on Amazon or Ebay? Can you tell me more or e-mail me at greggblasingame (@) gmail.com

@ Balaamsass, Thanks for the advice, where did you send the e-mail? I don't think I got it...

Yeah I know what you mean about the gray hair... o well :-/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit