Conversation with a JW coworker

by MrFreeze 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

So I started working at my new job in December. There is one person in my department who is a JW. Then there is another JW who works in my building, who just started going to my old hall about 6 months ago.

One day as he was walking by he saw my nametag on the cubicle. He recognized the last name (my little sister's last name since my mom has remarried). So he finds out I am related to my mom. I got a message through our interoffice messenger program that just said "I know your mom." Okay, that was a pretty creepy start. So I find out that he goes to my old hall. I went to my stepdad's public talk a couple months ago and that was the first time I met him. He occasionally sends me messages asking how I am doing.

Today he sends me a message asking me how I like living where I am now. I talk about how nice the people are in my neighborhood and how I didn't think it was going to be that way since the neighborhood doesn't have a great reputation. I bring out how much nicer it is than the neighborhood I was living before. Then he makes this comment: "That's funny, because it mostly people in (name of area) that deterred you."

Maybe it seems like a minor comment but it sets a major precident for how I was perceived leaving by, not only my family, but by all the JW's I knew. They are still convinced that I didn't leave because the doctrines are BS. They are convinced that it was other people (worldlies) that drew me out.

I agree that I really shouldn't care what they think. The problem is how I've been set up to be the prime example of how "bad associations spoil useful habits." In the sports world they call it "bulletin-board material." That's when a team takes something an oppenent says and pins it up in the locker room as extra motivation. I hate the fact that I've been misrepresented and I'm no doubt being used to deter JW's from getting close at all with "worldly" people. Because if you give those wicked worldly people a finger, they'll take the whole arm. The worst thing is that I can imagine how my mom and stepdad are drilling this into my little sister.

If I wasn't using an office communicator with this fellow, I would have set the record straight. I don't know, maybe this is much ado about nothing. Just a little irritating.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

His little brain can't compute that you left for legitimate reasons.

You might not have to set the record straight in the future... Without going into detail, you could just say that you left for personal reasons.. You personally think they are full of shit!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

CO, this person doesn't even really know me, so everything he thinks he knows about me has been related by either my family, or other JW's. At work through the messenger was the first time we ever talked and we only met in person once and only for about 30 seconds.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

If you are df'd/da'd and have nothing to lose, you said that you left (I have no idea of your situation, please pay NO attention to me otherwise), could you say something like.. 'It wasn't bad associations that drew me away, there were just some things that bothered me.. Like did you know that Witnesses were associated with the UN?' ' Etc .. I know that personally I can't stand false accusations, I can really lose my cool if anyone labels/accuses me in some way. Hope you're not too angry, anyway.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Not DF/DA but I'm clearly marked.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Okay, sorry, I shouldn't have said that.

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

"That's funny, because it mostly people in (name of area) that deterred you."

Amazing. Not even a question, he's telling you why you were 'deterred'

Perhaps you could reply with something like "you may have been misinformed".

Retro

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Oh QO, if I get the chance outside of work, I will be sure to let him know all about it.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I know it's a crappy feeling but you have no control over what other people say about you. Shame that its your parents. I know how it feels cuz my mother does the same to me. I wouldn't have anything else to say to this guy unless its work related. Your parents have already poisoned that well and you really don't have to explain yourself to a stranger.

• A.M. Number 1
    A.M. Number 1

Yeah he needs to be set straight. Just tell your boss he is hrassing you about your religious beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit